Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulation changes

Re: Regulation changes

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm always takes photos of what uou leave..for bears..the empty gall bladder..plus the bones without meat..
    Same for moose, sheep, goats..etc photos demonstrate all edible meat taken..
    Great tip Dana..
    Cheers
    Steven
    Yes, please take lots of photos - especially with good background scenery. lol. and don't forget to post.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    What do you guys make out of neck meat , I tend to just burger it am I missing out
    Slow cooked rolled roasts. chunks of garlic and rosemary rolled in. Delicious! Great even with bone in, although not recommended any more with the CWD spreading now. Stews, sausages, ground.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Unless bloodshot, we have always kept the ribs of our deer. I cut them similar to pork side ribs and cook them the same way. Marinate in a dry rub overnight in the fridge. Then bake them in a tin foil sealed pan long and in a low oven. Take tin foil off at the end, up the temp a bit and cover with a good BBQ sauce. They are yummy.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Yes, please take lots of photos - especially with good background scenery. lol. and don't forget to post.
    And make sure you leave your location services on so all the gut pile hunters can hone in on your hot spot .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

What do you guys make out of neck meat , I tend to just burger it am I missing out
    I corn the neck meat and slice it with cheese and wine.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

just like with beef , game neck meat makes excellent stews

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Not to stir the pot but who wouldn't pack the neck meat of an elk? There's 40 lbs of great hamburger or sausage there. I totally understand the ribs on a small animal - very little low qality for all of the work.
    I have seen many moose camps with just the 4 legs and the backstraps hanging, the rib/belly/neck meat from a moose will mostly fill a rubber maid tote till I can hardly lift it(at least 80 pounds) yet has been left in the bush for years now. I have always taken all but the thin strip between the ribs, so this won't effect me much, 5 more minutes a side! I hunt to eat, so I treasure every pound of meat whether moose, elk or deer!!

I think this is a good regulation change. With all the scrutiny that hunters are under, and on the heels of loosing the GBear hunt I think it's more important that ever to make sure we all utilize everything we can off the game we take.

Ya I know, there's the camp out there that says meat retention makes little difference in the eyes of an anti-hunter and I agree, they could care less because they want it all shutdown. But the folks I talk to that are neither hunters or Anti-hunting ALL have a problem with edible meat left in the bush to rot.

These are the folks I love to offer samples of my Bear or duck pepperoni, venison jerky to. I'm not looking to convert these folks into hunters, although that would be cool but its's very hard to do. I certainly don't want to push them toward the anti's which is all to easy to do.

100% meat retention just seems like the smart way ahead to me
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-07-2018 at 03:47 PM.

100% meat retention just seems like the smart way ahead to me
    BC is just catching up somewhat to stiffer regs in Alta and the Yukon, but is still weak

In the Yukon one can be fined for allowing meat to become spoiled or taken by a predator without taking precautions. So if a CO thinks you didn't try hard enough to prevent a bear from stealing meat from a camp, you can get fined. Puts a whole 'nuther level to backpack hunting.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    I believe anyone that has an online account for hunting also received an email about it. It was certainly well advertised and circulated. Your regional office knew about it. For sure.
    I did NOT get any emails from them