Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Regulation changes

Re: Regulation changes

I don't think the "spirit" of the new regulation is to have the connective tissue picked clean from every bone. One can fillet 95% of the rib meat off without scraping between each rib to get the remaining 300g.

As you mention, it is vague and will be up to interpretation from all parties involved. I imagine it will be tested and defined from a legal standpoint in a couple years.

Before it said all edible portions from 4 quarters but I never heard of anyone finding a little meat stuck to a bone and launching an investigation so I don't think it will be any different if there's a little tissue between the ribs.

Neck meat on moose/elk will definitely mean an extra load and limit pack hunting opportunity.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Besides, have you ever ate deer ribs? Might as well BBQ a candle. Some stuff just ain`t that good to eat. I`ll eat the other 95%. Neck meat though? I skin everything right to the base of the ears. All that meat is awesome for grinding and there is a lot of it. Hamburg, sausage .....
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Sitting here shaking my head at how blind BCs hunters are

This has little to do with rib and neck meat from animals that had meat retention before this season

This is a way to sneak in a new law making it mandatory to keep COUGAR meat which in past years was not mandatory. Because majority don’t hunt cougar they are distracted by the small change to meat retention on all other species

This is nothing to do with meat retention it is a small shot at cougar hunting to test the waters of hunters opposition. Because the cougar hunt got negative attention and clearly the next target since we lost the grizz hunt

Hunters really need to open their eyes

Hunters need to start focusing on defending all hunters not just what effects them

Right now a combination of misdirection and exploitation of the hunting communities complacency is being used against us. We lost the grizz hunt because hunters believed meat retention would save it. First we got handed a meat only grizz hunt that caused a little outrage from grizzly hunters but this did little. Majority of the hunting community stayed silent because they did not target grizz. The lack of support from the hunting community showed the hunt could be canceled with little opposition hence where we are today with no grizz hunt at all

Now we get meat retention on cougar mandatory and everyone is focusing on rib and neck meat requirements ( lots of hunters already take this). Then add must carry canceled tags well we did this all the time with past license/tag books but this is domes focus. But no one is acknowledging the hunt truly being targeted

So well everyone ignores that the cougar hunt is following the path of our lost grizzly hunt what species needs to be targeted before you wake up?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

This has little to do with rib and neck meat from animals that had meat retention before this season

This is a way to sneak in a new law making it mandatory to keep COUGAR meat which in past years was not mandatory. Because majority don’t hunt cougar they are distracted by the small change to meat retention on all other species

This is nothing to do with meat retention it is a small shot at cougar hunting to test the waters of hunters opposition. Because the cougar hunt got negative attention and clearly the next target since we lost the grizz hunt

This could well be true..why was this new reg change put in place, there wasn't a great issue(s) that stimulated it?....if you are feeling charitable, you might think the new reg change is there to differentiate Trophy hunts from Meat hunts and therefore strengthens the argument for keeping Cougar hunting, by saying that its a meat hunt and all edible parts are taken...however if you are of a more suspicious nature, you might think this is aimed at 're-evaluating' the ethic of cougar hunting....if there is evidence from the field that not all the meat is being taken (ie one or two prosecutions, or much more likely some photo's of Cougar carcasses with meat left on), then hunters are clearly hunting Cougars for trophy's not meat and therefore the hunt should be banned as with the grizzly....

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    This could well be true..why was this new reg change put in place, there wasn't a great issue(s) that stimulated it?....if you are feeling charitable, you might think the new reg change is there to differentiate Trophy hunts from Meat hunts and therefore strengthens the argument for keeping Cougar hunting, by saying that its a meat hunt and all edible parts are taken...however if you are of a more suspicious nature, you might think this is aimed at 're-evaluating' the ethic of cougar hunting....if there is evidence from the field that not all the meat is being taken (ie one or two prosecutions, or much more likely some photo's of Cougar carcasses with meat left on), then hunters are clearly hunting Cougars for trophy's not meat and therefore the hunt should be banned as with the grizzly....
    Myself and many others ate grizz without it being mandatory and even with the grizz hunt switching to meat only it changed to complete ban of the hunt anyway

Meat retention is nothing about saving a hunt and it does not save a hunt recent history of the grizzly hunt proves this

If you believe meat hunting is will justifysave your right to hunt I am sorry to say it’s a horrible defence and can be easily discredited. Reality is we are all hunters no form of hunting is above or below the other

I don’t hunt cougar, eat what I hunt, animals I target can be from simply legal to selecting a mature animal. So I am speaking on the defence of hunters overall

Only reason for banning a hunt should be conservation concerns

Myself and many others ate grizz without it being mandatory and even with the grizz hunt switching to meat only it changed to complete ban of the hunt anyway

Meat retention is nothing about saving a hunt and it does not save a hunt recent history of the grizzly hunt proves this

If you believe meat hunting is will justifysave your right to hunt I am sorry to say it’s a horrible defence and can be easily discredited. Reality is we are all hunters no form of hunting is above or below the other

I don’t hunt cougar, eat what I hunt, animals I target can be from simply legal to selecting a mature animal. So I am speaking on the defence of hunters overall

Only reason for banning a hunt should be conservation concerns

Hi Wild one..sure, but to be clear I'm just speculating on WHY these reg changes might have come about...I'm not justifying them.....

You're bang on.

Horgan's looking for the next excuse to vilify hunters for his own political gain.

Weaver's looking for the next group to call "barbarians" for his own political gain.

Those two jackasses must go. Now.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    You're bang on.

Horgan's looking for the next excuse to vilify hunters for his own political gain.

Weaver's looking for the next group to call "barbarians" for his own political gain.

Those two jackasses must go. Now.
    And they will get what they are looking for as most worry about neck/rib meat, carrying canceled tags, or ignore it because it does not effect them

With the lack of opposition by hunters we are easy targets

Quote Originally Posted by Fallkniven View Post
    I really hate when people jump on this cougar as a trophy hunt thing. Its a f'ing management hunt, yes people keep trophies but who cares. Its management of a species that needs to happen, it lawfully does happen, who are we to judge a fellow sportsmen if they want to keep a memento of that hunt. It's getting absurd. You call it trophy I call it necessary management of a species. And yes i do too think they went for Grizz first, now it will be cougar, black bears, wolves. They will come for the hound guys first because the non hounds guys will not care as "they aren't hurting my hunting" attitude comes into play. If we dont all stick together to protect all methods and game species as long as its being legally and ethically done we will be done for. We will suffer death of hunting by a thousand small cuts.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.