Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulation changes

Re: Regulation changes

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    No issues with the changes but what happens with a gut shot animal which happens from time to time?
    Ceratainly don't want to cantaminate good meat with tainted rib meat.

SSS

Your question answered, directly from the Fish & Wildlife Branch:

Hi,

The question has inevitably been asked, “What about a gut shot animal that has contaminated rib cage meat?” with the new requirement to pack out rib meat.

Logic dictates that badly bloodshot or paunch-contaminated rib meat would not be required to be removed, but is there anything in the new legislation that specifically addresses this?

Thanks.

Hello,

You have it right that logic prevails. There is no provision in the new regulations that specifically exempts a person from removing portions if damaged by the method of taking the animal. However, in common language edible means things you can eat (fit for food) and that you would expect someone would eat. It would be unreasonable to assume someone would eat something unfit for human consumption. So, for example, if the rib meat is contaminated and unfit to eat as in your example – it would not be edible. The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.

Thanks for writing with your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Your question answered, directly from the Fish & Wildlife Branch:

Hi,

The question has inevitably been asked, “What about a gut shot animal that has contaminated rib cage meat?” with the new requirement to pack out rib meat.

Logic dictates that badly bloodshot or paunch-contaminated rib meat would not be required to be removed, but is there anything in the new legislation that specifically addresses this?

Thanks.

Hello,

You have it right that logic prevails. There is no provision in the new regulations that specifically exempts a person from removing portions if damaged by the method of taking the animal. However, in common language edible means things you can eat (fit for food) and that you would expect someone would eat. It would be unreasonable to assume someone would eat something unfit for human consumption. So, for example, if the rib meat is contaminated and unfit to eat as in your example – it would not be edible. The requirement is to remove the edible meat of the four quarters, loins, neck and ribs.

Thanks for writing with your question.
    The problem is, "logic" is impossible to prove with vague legalese. Just like most laws, they should be re-written or defined so people know what is and is not allowed. Common sense is not all that common.

Everyone I've ever hunted with already did this, there is a lot of good meat on the neck of an elk or moose, even a deer has a fair amount. As for the rib meat it only takes a couple of minutes to strip out and goes into sausage.

Hmmm rolled neck roasts are delicious. .tasty. .the rib meat has always been sausage use..25 pounds of meat plus 3 pounds of pork..damn near 30 pounds of German dinner sausage..these rules have not changed my practices in the field.
    Cheers
    Steven

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rimfire View Post
    The problem is, "logic" is impossible to prove with vague legalese. Just like most laws, they should be re-written or defined so people know what is and is not allowed. Common sense is not all that common.
    You'd love it in France!

Thanks for the info FD. Business as usual for me.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I wouldn't go by FD's internet advice. Not like that will hold up in court. 'Well judge, Fisherdude told me it was okay.' FD has offered much poor advice in the past. Just look at his 4 point muley advice he has given mulitiple times because he talked to his so-called CO buddy. I seem to remember him talking about rib meat many years ago as being the law to take out. Again, his so-called CO buddy told him so. hahaha! Oh and remember the advice that the gutless method was illegal because the entire carcus has to be removed. Or that the antlers could not be removed from the carcus either. All good sound advice from the one and only FD.
    Last edited by dana; 04-06-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    As of April 1 we will have to remove neck and rib cage meat, the four quarters and the lions from all cougar, black bear, deer, moose, goat, sheep, caribou elk, bison.
    Did anyone know this regulation change was coming down the pipe? Our regional office had no idea this was coming.
    Guess not long before they want us to eat the hooves as well
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Thanks for the info FD. Business as usual for me.
    Me too. Mine get loaded whole into the truck anyway.

If in doubt, I always ask the guy in Victoria who actually writes the regs for the province!
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

I've always removed the neck and rib meat. Good stuff. Never shot a cougar but have eaten cougar meat. Delicious!

What bothers me about this (while wearing my little tin foil hat as they say), is that I have to question the "reasoning" behind these changes.

I see it only as making more and more regulations to wean us away from hunting.
    Has the "non-retention" of rib meat (for example) from a deer, by some hunters, actually caused any issues?
    Was the regulation to remove the edible portions of a cougar based on the fact that it is actually good to eat, or is it really meant to discourage the hunting and trapping of cougar because the people who are responsible for making these changes just think that it isn't good to eat? (Clearly the same "thinking" could esentially put an end to wolf and coyote hunting).

Again, I'm curious about the "back-up" regarding these changes...

As far as the question re: rib meat from a gut shot animal. It is stated in the regs that "edible portions do not include meat that has been damaged and made inedible by the method of taking". Would it be ok to say "I killed this deer with the "gut shot method"????

And oh yeah...just to throw it out there....isn't a bear gallbladder in fact, by definition, "edible"??