Thread: Turkey Spots in the East Koots

Turkey Spots in the East Koots

Hey there,

I'm curious if anyone can give me a nudge in the right direction on where to scout for some Spring gobblers in and around the Cranbrook / Kimberley area. Hoping to get out looking for some roosts in the next couple of weeks leading up to the Spring opener.

Last year was a bit of a bust as I was pretty much walking around without any idea of where to start looking. Hoping to improve my chances of bagging my first Turkey this season

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

--
    Blair
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Turkey Spots in the East Koots

You live in Kimberley? Hunt the graveyard road in town (kidding) tons of them there. I saw a bunch on the side of the road on the way to Cranny yesterday by the Airport turn off. Maybe ask the land owner if you can get on there. Turn left and he would be first guy on the right. Good luck!
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking about - just before the bridge over the river when going to Cranny. I saw a big gobbler there a couple days ago surrounded by a bunch of hens. Wish it was public land...but I guess I could give it a go asking for permission.

Thanks!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by forb3s View Post
    Yeah - I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking about - just before the bridge over the river when going to Cranny. I saw a big gobbler there a couple days ago surrounded by a bunch of hens. Wish it was public land...but I guess I could give it a go asking for permission.

Thanks!
    Yes you can. Maybe stop by the bakery and bring bribes. Worked for me before.

How’s the snowpack out that way? I’m heading in to the western side of the turkey zone. There’s a fair bit of white crap there, but hopefully it disappears quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    How’s the snowpack out that way? I’m heading in to the western side of the turkey zone. There’s a fair bit of white crap there, but hopefully it disappears quickly.
    I heard that of this morning(April 10) it is 119% of normal. It was 120% a month ago. Slow melt, thank god but if we get a week of normal temps.........................But yeah, lots here yet.

I did a bit of scouting last weekend and a few spot I looked at had too much snow to access. Will see what's going on Sunday!
    KCCO

Blair, I’m listening to a gobbler from my living room as I type! Heading down to kookanusa for opening day though, going camping with kids away from the white stuff for Sunday-Monday. I have a local area (not my yard) for you to hunt, will text you a map. Key is to be there before sunrise and quiet by sunrise, you should be able to quietly hike and hen call till you hear a tom. They are in full ‘rut’ right now. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to scout around there Saturday. Only word of caution is last couple springs a big grizz boar has been using the area as well.