Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone as gps?

Re: iPhone as gps?

Try Motion X. You can download topo maps to your iphone, and if you open the area where you are planning to be, a sat map will load into memory. Its all I use now.

http://gps.motionx.com/

I found that when I use my iphone as a GPS that it eats batteries like crazy, whereas my GPS lasts for weeks on a couple double A
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I used "GPS kit" when it was out.... but like rock said batteries.... if you ever need your phone for a rescue.. and your batteries are dead... now I have a Garmin 64st

I can get a week out of my iPhone 7 operating as my GPS with the GAIA GPS app without charging it. I turn off Bluetooth and run it in Airplane mode, or totally shut it off between GPS uses when I am in the backcountry and out of cell coverage. If I am in cell coverage I probably can get the phone charged readily every night anyway, either at the truck or camper or house.

As per a small charge-pack, I recently purchased a Blackweb 6700mAh battery at Walmart for $20. It will charge my iPhone 7 about 4 or more times, with a partial charge remaining on the phone each time I used it. It is small and could be backpacked. For fly-in hunts I use a very large jump pack that will even jump start a V-8 F150...I've done it. It would keep your phone running for months but is heavy.

Apple bites. Go android.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

I was wondering how long the apple haters would take to show up I'm not enough of a nerd to care haha

The rest of you complaining about battery life, are you running it on airplane mode like Blockcaver?

I have an android phone & installed the free version of an app called Polaris Navigation GPS on it. Not sure if it's available for Apple products. Either way, my go to GPS device is a Garmin. Tool made for the job. The phone is a nice back up & the app has some unique features, but when it comes down to the crunch, a dedicated GPS device loaded with the appropriate TOPO maps is my personal choice. More rugged if I happen to drop it or things get damp. As for the battery issue, that's a matter of planning ahead & being prepared. Regardless of which device you choose, carry spares. I made that mistake on one hunting trip & things were getting dicey finding my way back to the truck in the dark in a new to me area. I didn't carry a set of spare batteries for my Garmin on that occasion, telling myself it's just a short day trip, I'll head back before dark.... doh. I walked a hundred meters with the Garmin off, then turn it back on to check my position trying to make the batteries last. Got lucky.
    Last edited by mike31154; 04-07-2018 at 08:51 AM.

You know what never runs out of batteries? A paper map and compass, GPS should never be primary nav.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    I was wondering how long the apple haters would take to show up I'm not enough of a nerd to care haha

The rest of you complaining about battery life, are you running it on airplane mode like Blockcaver?
    not really down with Apple, I still use a IPad but have gone to android phone. But apps for for Apple are too much$$ like Gaia $50 a year, can get on android for free like Canada topo.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    I use IhuntBC and IhuntSask on an iphone.

basically google earth that shows exactly where you are. Very useful in the backcountry. A gamechanger for skidooing
    X2 on the Ihunter app. And it's always being updated and improved. Just like the 30-06. Oh yeah F Apple.