Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iPhone as gps?

Re: iPhone as gps?

Quote Originally Posted by BCStickbowHunter View Post
    You know what never runs out of batteries? A paper map and compass,.
    Does this come with an app?

Did not know airplane mode was the way to go.. drained the whole phone battery in about 5 hours..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Thanks guys I will look into the suggested options. I have the cheaper version of huntbuddy and have wondered about the mapping part.
    My question as well, is the $14.99 for the upgrade worth it..........hoping others can chime in.......
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Well I downloaded Gaia and bought the upgrade for hunt buddy. I'll update after I play with them a bit. I am kind of holding out on the inreach until it comes with an SD card slot so I guess I would be back to carrying the same amount of stuff unless I left my phone in the truck.

As for the map and compass, are there any good waterproof maps out there for hunting in BC? My compass skills are mediocre but I should be using them more.

I use the full version of Huntbuddy and love it. The ability to download so many different maps is great. I also use MotionX-GPS. It’s good and has some features that HuntBuddy doesn’t but I couldn’t figure out how to get the maps I wanted downloaded and find HB easier to use. It does the drain the battery if you leave it running in the background but putting it in pilot mode helps a lot. I usually carry a Dark Energy battery pack to charge my phone. I also have an InReach for GPS back up. I stopped carrying my Garmin.

There is a map place in Richmond that had an excellent selection of Topo maps. Not all regions were available in waterproof yet though so I bought a map bag off Amazon. It was fairly inexpensive I think.

My buddies use there Iphones, downloading the map areas prior to going hunting on the hunt buddy ap. Pretty amazing,it tracks were you have gone, great Topo , etc. If it is cold out you will want an external battery and you wont have any problems with it shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    My question as well, is the $14.99 for the upgrade worth it..........hoping others can chime in.......
    My opinion is that this is definitely worth the money! I use this and find the map package to be very good. I really like being able to download sections for where I will be hunting and dropping pins where I see anything interesting. For $15 you basically get a GPS that works very well. I’m going to invest in a battery charger as my iPhone sucks. If you use Airplane mode and download the map section over wifi before you leave home, your good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    My opinion is that this is definitely worth the money! I use this and find the map package to be very good. I really like being able to download sections for where I will be hunting and dropping pins where I see anything interesting. For $15 you basically get a GPS that works very well. I’m going to invest in a battery charger as my iPhone sucks. If you use Airplane mode and download the map section over wifi before you leave home, your good to go!
    Thanks for the info.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Son of a biscuit just after I pay for the hunt buddy upgrade, BRMB sends out an email that their maps are now available on Gaia with a premium membership. I sent them an email asking if there’s any way to get their maps on Gaia without the membership since I already own the latest version of their maps on an SD card I bought last fall. We will see.