Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Sleeping Bags

Hi, Is anyone up to speed on the actual performance of the new waterproof down bags with DWR outer fabric compared to the traditional favorites, ie; WM, valandre, FF, tiaga, etc? I am considering the mountain hardware ghost whisperer and the kuiu bags and can't find much good info online.

Thanks in advance.

I'm sold on down bags and have a couple good ones, and have never had any issues with much use. That said, if the industry is changing I don't want to buy a non hydrophobic down bag for use on the coast for late season blackmail.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sleeping Bags

waterproof down is amazing stuff, and all the new stuff is going that way.

Its like extra insurance. I think in our climate and the pacific northwest it's quite worth it, especially if you don't have the ability to dry it

I have a Valandre Bloody Mary and a Mountain Hardware Banshee. Both down. The Banshee has a water repellent outer and beads water off no issue. The Valandre is more of a water "resistant" coating. It will eventually get wet. The Valandre is a tight fitting bag but also only 2lbs if I recall.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I've had a waterproof bag since 2005 .... the very first one made, if i recall correctly. Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL. the waterproof material and construction definitely added a little bit to its weight compared to some lightweight models out there with the same -7 temp rating. I'm sure things have come a long way since then, though.

On one hand i feel like i really haven't needed the waterproofness, on the other i feel like the extra tough construction to make it waterproof has helped it remain working well to this day whereas some of hte ultralight models would have fallen apart by now.

Overall, i'm happy with it. I can see it lasting another 10 years.

FYI .... the Ghost Wisperer bag by Mountain Harwear is NOT waterproof. I noticed this is in your considerations, but in case you missed this on their site, it is NOT a waterproof bag!
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 04-04-2018 at 10:13 AM.

I got a chance to try out one of the new kuiu bags. They are unreal but imo a little high on price
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    I got a chance to try out one of the new kuiu bags. They are unreal but imo a little high on price
    What's special about them? I'm always skeptical of clothing companies expanding into gear. I guess i question whether they're just buying someone else's sleeping bag and putting their name on it. I know their tents had their share of problems from what I hear.

I did see their sleeping bag prices, and you're right, they are high.

I really like the idea of a waterproof bag. Sooner or later something goes sideways and you end up with a pool of water in your tent.

I look forward to hearing about performance after a season or two of use.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    I really like the idea of a waterproof bag. Sooner or later something goes sideways and you end up with a pool of water in your tent.

I look forward to hearing about performance after a season or two of use.
    what happens if the pool comes from inside the blanket?

Not gonna lie, had a few too many beers and it happened one time...
    let me tell ya, it was a very rare occurrence where I was one of the early risers, with the rest of the gang chuckling as they crawled out of their tents, there I am drying my bag by the fire...

LOL !!!!

Toilet in a dream is always a trap!

Lol, that's a different take on the condensation inside the bag issue..

Thanks for the insight on MH twoseven0, I did think it was DWR on the fabric. That's the appeal of kuiu, treated down and DWR outside. If I saw WM making a bag like this I would feel confident, but so far I think the other options are Eddie Bauer and thermarest, neither would inspire a ot of confidence based on my knowledge and online info.