Thread: Opinions of arrows, broadheads and drop away rests...

Opinions of arrows, broadheads and drop away rests...

I recently got back into archery.. looking to make my kit a little more vesitile and effective.

Bow specs.. bear cruiser 2, 70lb, draw is 28"

Im not a fan of these cheap arrows I picked up to practice with. They are the carbon rage 340 kits that come with 100gr hypodermics I believe, 29.5" long.
    They are junk. Nocks spin, inserts spin, vanes peel off.

Im looking for something better to practice with that's not gonna make me mad if I break it, when I'm more proficient and ready to hunt I figure I'll dial it in with some of those 6mm hybrids.

What Drop away? Nothing delicate or pretty. It just has to do its job.

Im not a fan of mechanical blades. Are they more reliable than I give them credit for? If they are alright, would 3 blade mechanicals be better than 2 blade?

Many moons (15years since I touched a bow) ago i used to do a lot of recreational target practice, got fairly proficient instinctively. I've only got a couple hours in with this one, dialing and tuning. It's not bad but the notion of hunting with it has hit me well enough that I want it better.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opinions of arrows, broadheads and drop away rests...

I'm just getting into crossbow, and my buddy is starting archery.

I picked up a couple packs of Montec G5 fixed blades at my local Canadian tire, they are currently on clearance for $39 a pack of 3. Before I decided to buy those, I was seriously thinking about the Trocar HBX series, which is a hybrid with 2 fixed blades and two additional mechanicals. Price wise those were over $60 for 3, but if they work as advertised would be devastating to game.

Also looking to upgrade the whisker biscuit to a drop away, so looking forward to other responses on this thread.

I'm using gold tip arrows so far I found them to be one of the toughest arrows. I personally used Muzzy mx4 broadheads but there's so many good broadheads that will do the job. As for drop away I'm using the qad HDX and it's been awesome no issues

I have an extra QAD hdx in LH if you need one...

pm me

Learning to fletch your own arrows is worth it in my opinion, after the jig it costs less than 50% to make your own of you buy bare shafts, and you get a lot more options. I use Easton fmjs, bought a couple dozen I'm slowly working through, happy with them, they're consistent, durable.

I use a aae prodrop, works great, highly recommend.

If you get good accessories you like, if you move to a new bow later you can just move them over, then put the original stuff back on what you have to sell it. Sights and rests are worth spending on I think, probably make more of a difference than anything besides more practice.

Just listened to a kafarucast podcast on fixed broadheads, would have some good information for you.