Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Re: Sleeping Bags

No other feedback on kuiu bags, gab, thermarest, Eddie Bauer, or other hydrophobic down with DWR covers? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Muledeercrazy2 View Post
    Lol, that's a different take on the condensation inside the bag issue..

Thanks for the insight on MH twoseven0, I did think it was DWR on the fabric. That's the appeal of kuiu, treated down and DWR outside. If I saw WM making a bag like this I would feel confident, but so far I think the other options are Eddie Bauer and thermarest, neither would inspire a ot of confidence based on my knowledge and online info.
    Remember, DWR and waterproof are two completely different things.
    DWR is simply a type of coating that is used on non-waterproof materials so that they are more water replant. You get that beading effect like a freshly waxed car. But, just like the car wax, the DWR will wear out over time.

Waterproof bags, like a gore-tex jacket, will have tape over the seams and will use a waterproof/breathable fabric for the construction. It should remain waterproof forever. (Materials do break down over time, but we're talking years and years)

Right, so you think a WM bag with gore is still as good of an option as anything?

on the coast, down is great on the first night, second and third night the down gets wetter and wetter, and youll be cold. after several down bags. jackets ive gone to synthetics for the rainy coast
    half the people in this world are below average intelligence

I have never had an issue on the west coast with down as long as I had a good tent with ventilation. I bought a nemo losi storm 2p that weighs in a bit under 4 lbs. (If I remember right) about 9 years ago and it has kept me and bag dry in some nasty weather. I swap baselayers before sleeping if I have to. I get very minor condensation on the tent walls sometimes, but it's not been a problem. I use the tent solo hunting for blacktail so I have lots of room.

I did make the mistake of using a bivy sack years ago, not knowing anything about your bag needing to breath.

I wouldn't pack a synthetic bag on the coast unless i was thinking more than a long weekend or really bad weather. Totally agree about down outerwear though. I am just looking to replace a bag that was commandeered by wife and dog for a few days and now doesn't seem to belong to me.

[AQUOTE=Fixit;1998825]on the coast, down is great on the first night, second and third night the down gets wetter and wetter, and youll be cold. after several down bags. jackets ive gone to synthetics for the rainy coast[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's a different take on the condensation inside the bag issue..

Thanks for the insight on MH twoseven0, I did think it was DWR on the fabric. That's the appeal of kuiu, treated down and DWR outside. If I saw WM making a bag like this I would feel confident, but so far I think the other options are Eddie Bauer and thermarest, neither would inspire a ot of confidence based on my knowledge and online info.
    The Marmot Helium is worth a look as well. As a 15 degree bag it packs down to just bigger than a nalgene and is filled with down is USA. It's a quality bag and unlike the WM bags it goes on sale. It is a bit wider than the ultralite or Alpinlite WM bags and if you sleep on your side or toss and turn it isn't as fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    What's special about them? I'm always skeptical of clothing companies expanding into gear. I guess i question whether they're just buying someone else's sleeping bag and putting their name on it. I know their tents had their share of problems from what I hear.

I did see their sleeping bag prices, and you're right, they are high.
    I found them to have no cold spots, stayed lofty after a very hard compress and the condensation in the tent didn't penetrate at all. Like I said though it's a high price and if I had to pay full price it would be a tough one.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Right, so you think a WM bag with gore is still as good of an option as anything?
    I like tents with lots of mesh on the body. The less condensation the better. So I usually don't have issues with condensation.

Having owned a waterproof bag for 13 years and been perfectly satisfied with it, would I buy it again? ... no.

I think that what you gain in waterproofness has not been outweighed by the fact that the bag is heavier and bulkier due to its waterproof material and construction.

If condensation were an issue I would rather bring a garbage bag and stick the bottom of the bag into it to keep it away from the tent wall if it meant I could have a 1.5lb bag that packs down small.

As mentioned above the Marmot Helium is an excellent bag. It's very good quality and packs down very very small. Excellent bag.

However, I hunt blacktails on day trips. If I was to do multi day trips in mid November for blacktails more often than I hunt the dry country for mulies I think I would stick with my waterproof bag for a piece of mind.

That's how I would make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    The Marmot Helium is worth a look as well. As a 15 degree bag it packs down to just bigger than a nalgene and is filled with down is USA. It's a quality bag and unlike the WM bags it goes on sale. It is a bit wider than the ultralite or Alpinlite WM bags and if you sleep on your side or toss and turn it isn't as fitted.
    Awesome bag. Good recommendation. This bag has been in the marmot lineup for at least 15 years for good reason.

I've had a Kuiu bag for a couple years now, but I can't give a report on how effective the waterproofing is because it's never gotten wet to date. That said, I have been really happy with it.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir