Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bags

Re: Sleeping Bags

Quote Originally Posted by hparrott View Post
    The Marmot Helium is worth a look as well. As a 15 degree bag it packs down to just bigger than a nalgene and is filled with down is USA. It's a quality bag and unlike the WM bags it goes on sale. It is a bit wider than the ultralite or Alpinlite WM bags and if you sleep on your side or toss and turn it isn't as fitted.
    My mother ran this bag for a season, she's a ACMG mountain guide and spends a ton of time in the back country. Found it to be to fragile and wasn't that warm. The zipper ripped off the bag at the top and she had some seam stitching issues. Mind you this was about 8 years ago, so the bags might have changed a bit since then. They're mega light weight and pack down very well though...
    ig: mmckimmi

Thanks! I don't want to compromise over half a pound and a couple litres of space.

Quote Originally Posted by mmckimmi View Post
    My mother ran this bag for a season, she's a ACMG mountain guide and spends a ton of time in the back country. Found it to be to fragile and wasn't that warm. The zipper ripped off the bag at the top and she had some seam stitching issues. Mind you this was about 8 years ago, so the bags might have changed a bit since then. They're mega light weight and pack down very well though...

I can believe that. It's an ultralight bag .... some durability sacrifices are to be expected when you go ultralight.

Ya I wouldn't be happy if that happened that's for sure. The bag has a long history of great reviews and I haven't noticed a problem with quality. Each to their own

The kuiu bags are great - very light, warm and high quality down. i bought it specifically for backcountry overnight hunts and am very happy with it.

I accidentally tested the waterproof by hanging a jacket i didn't realize had snow/ice on it above the foot of the bag. Hours later i saw a pool of water sitting on the bag. I dumped the water and checked to see if any moisture had seeped in - it was bone dry.

Price is high

Quote Originally Posted by Jrax View Post
    The kuiu bags are great - very light, warm and high quality down. i bought it specifically for backcountry overnight hunts and am very happy with it.

I accidentally tested the waterproof by hanging a jacket i didn't realize had snow/ice on it above the foot of the bag. Hours later i saw a pool of water sitting on the bag. I dumped the water and checked to see if any moisture had seeped in - it was bone dry.

Price is high
    Which of the three bags did you get? And how well do they pack down? I'll be due for a new bag next season or so and am pretty interested in these after doing a lot of research about the down they use and the coatings. However they're insanely expensive...
    ig: mmckimmi

Which of the three bags did you get? And how well do they pack down? I'll be due for a new bag next season or so and am pretty interested in these after doing a lot of research about the down they use and the coatings. However they're insanely expensive...
    Wife has mine currently, but when she is back next week I will take some pics with measurements if you like. I have the mid range 15(-9)degree bag.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Here is some more food for thought..

https://sectionhiker.com/pros-cons-waterproof-down/

This post is hilarious!

Why do people buy grass-fed beef? Because it’s not full of hormones and anti-biotics.
    Any danger of treated down gassing off and mutating your chromosomes? I wonder…
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I have the -9C bag, long. I bought the long bag because of wide shoulders and the predecessor MEC bag was a bit snug, 1lb heavier and didn't compress as well. I have lots of room especially in the legs. The bag packs very small, its about 4 volumetric litres. You can further compress if needed but I try not to. I was worried about breathability but that has not been an issue, loft is also excellent.

I didn't shop around as much as I should have but with work and kids I don't have time so for me its easier to go with quality brands that I know whether its hunting clothes, guns, sleeping bags, packs etc. There are probably lots out there that compare for cheaper or similar price.

under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I Have had a Gore tex downfill since the mid 1980's. Canadian made by Taiga works. My sweety has one as well. Many years were spent in a tent from April till October. These bags are still usable but getting long in the tooth ...like me. Awesome product. They were called barrel bags and the roominess was amazing compared to a mummy. I believe they are still in business, and if I'm ever looking I will be checking them out for a replacement.