Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats your favourite gundog breed

Re: whats your favourite gundog breed

well he won't retrieve worth a damn and hates the boom of a gun.....but he will hunt and hold bears at bay like there is no tomorrow lol

Shot with FinePix S5000 at 2005-01-14

Black and Tans
    Arrive.Raise Hell.Leave

Before the CBR we had a brittany x lab another great mutt.[/quote]

Man, Dusty was a good dog, even pogue found it easy to teach her to fetch, only problem was he taught Dusty to fetch your ginch outta your drawer and drag it like some prize around the house...I miss that dog!

Some great looking dogs there guys!

Here is a pic of my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon on point. He is a great pet, smart as any dog I've ever had and he's got a ton of hunt in him. This will be his 2nd full season coming up and I think he can tell how anxious I am getting.

I've always thought that the best breed is the one you have and are happy with.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 08-24-2007 at 11:13 PM.

sasq,

Cool to see a Griffon in this part of the world, heard lots about them, never seen one in person, nor seen them work.

Have you pursued the true versatile nature of the breed?

Ian

Smile Re: whats your favourite gundog breed

Anything that would work hard to tree a grouse, let me know when and where and wait for me to catch up. Partial to Spaniels for this, I guess it's only because that's the type we've always had and I just got to know them so well.

Labs for me.
    Bird dogs, house pets, toddler entertainers and great scouting partners.

"For the man who can, not once by accident, but again and again, as a regular thing, single-handed, find and kill his black-tail, has shown that he is no mere novice in his art; still-hunting the black-tail is a sport that only the skilful can follow with good results." Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919). Hunting Trips of a Ranchman. 1885.

Ian, there's a few Griffs here in BC that I've seen. They are wonderful hunting companions and will hunt anything you train them to. Mine points, retrieves and swims like an otter. I've only trained him for birds so far, but he will point rabbits and other fur. I'm hoping to start training him to track this year.

To warm barrels and cold noses

Our new German Wirehaired Pointer pup is now 5 months old and is developing into a great hunting dog already. He loves the water, has a great nose, soft mouth and has been very easy to train so far. I've been working on hand commands lately and he has been responding well. Looking forward to this season and my new companion!

Sasq,

If you need a bird boy give me a ring, love to see him work!

My chocolate stayed east when we came west last year, used to train her everyday and with a group weekly, just a big void now...

Very best,

Ian