Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: whats your favourite gundog breed

Re: whats your favourite gundog breed

LOC

Nice dog. I love pointers. I'm really looking forward to getting out with her in ths fall.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

[quote=LOC;177452]
    - loves being out and has a nose that's unbelievable -

Loc, I hope youre not comparing him to your sense of smell ?......"whats that smell ?" "i dont smell nothing....ulghralhpf! hurl!") lol ..Odies a good boy though much better lookin than his owner and definetly not gunshy

hm well Hunter is my 4 year old Black Lab and Sissy is my 12 year old Blue Heeler who thinks she is a hunting dog

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

Black lab for me.

Keisha is now 2-1/2 years old. She is not gun shy at all and flushes grouse like you wouldn't believe. She also has an excellent nose and once a blood trail is found she will track the downed game every time.

I couldn't ask for a better camp dog either as she will not allow any animals or people she doesn't know into camp without scaring the crap out of 'em first.
    Livin' the dream....

now matter what breed you get make sure that it is from good genetics for your purpose (be it hunting ,show or companion stock ). There are breeders that breed simply to sell pups . There are bloodlines in every breed that are influencing factors in a dogs suitability for its purpose used and price of a pup does not always mean that that you will get a good sound dog as there are many people out there that that price what the market will bear simply based on the breed of the dog and not the breeding.

My vote for a good smaller upland gundog would go to one of the field bred spanials from good lines . They work well in tight cover and are easy to care for as long as you keep them cut short so they dont burr up.

Besides my GSP, another great breed is the Cheasy. My folks have one and she is great (can't get her out of the water!), much calmer than my brat

Before the CBR we had a brittany x lab another great mutt.

hi barracuda do you have a spaniel ? I brought mine with me from england when we emigrated 2 years ago ,she has field trial champs in her lines and is a pedigree she comes from english working strain , shes a little head strong but hunts and retrieves instinctively and is a pleasure to watch,she is also very soft mouthed.

After 13 years I had to put my the old boy down last month , his tail never stopped wagging to the very end
    He was a pedigreed English ****er from imported working/hunting stock (beanhill to name but one). best dog a man could hope for , real soft mouth ,smart as a whip could learn anything and track anything i wanted him to , fantastic nose and would work till he couldnt walk and then some.
    I had him flown in from the breeder/enthusiast back east .

SHAKER is offline Hound dawger reborn......

Nothing like a hound for a gun dog. Just sure as hell don't retrieve much!

Two of my favorits.
    Last edited by ruger#1; 08-24-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: wouldnt let me post