Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: whats your favourite gundog breed

Re: whats your favourite gundog breed

I will never fatham the NO PETS or should we say NO DOG rule of renting houses. For one the dog is a living alarm system as well as a companion and guardian of its owner. Yes they bark but all animals make noise and if properly loved and cared for and trained most people would not even know you have a dog.

Ian I am sorry you had to leave your darlin companion behind because of this ridiculous ruling - but like you said Hunter has a friend to frolick with on many acres of land - good luck with your wife getting a full time gig anf you being able to get yourself another companion for hunting.

I too have a pooch named Hunter - she is a gem.

Ali

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

I've always hunted labs, all but one was black. I also prefer females although their size can be a concern when it comes to geese and thick cover in the marsh (quite often I have to head out into the thickets and get a goose that my current dog Maddy is struggling with.... thankfully she yelps so I can mark her spot).
    I've had the pleasure of hunting over German Shorthairs for pheasants and grouse and it was awesome to hunt with these dogs too.
    I've hunted with Ian and he's a very good shot, there aren't many who can hunt waterfowl without a dog and be disciplined enough to pick shots and retrieve birds right away and not be in a position to bag other birds because they are out in their boat. Most of us require a retriever, Maddy could easily be nicknamed "American Express".... I don't leave home without her! (and she turns 5 on Sept. 5th).
    Pic from opening day 2 years ago:
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Favorite gun dog …that’s a tough one. I’m at present a versatile dog man but started my hunting career as a labman at the ripe age of 13 when my father thought if I’d be spending so much time in the swamps and fields that I should have a partner.
    I then was owned by a head strong Brittany that as long as I wore track shoes I could have a limit in no time. He could find and hold birds as good as any dog I’ve seen and he was as capable in the water as he was on land and lived to retrieve. Then came GSP’s and there is no sense describing their ability or drive, the where and are simply outstanding. I now find myself with an aging GSP and a young loveable DD whose prey dive is such that if he’s not sleeping he’s hunting, whether it’s mosquitoes out of boredom or seals and otters at the marina, he was born to hunt.

I am a huge fan of dogs, all dogs, and figure that all a person has to do is find the breed that best suits their personality. At this time in my life that’s my GSP and DD, and once my GSP has decided to leave my side another DD will enter our lives, and In fact the order has already been placed

Conner with a mixed bag in N.S. last fall

Conner late season pheasant!

Chas with his first water retrieve at 5.5 months!

Chas with his first woodcock at 5.5 months!
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

I'd have to say Labs because I have 2 choclates,and they have retrieved everything I've shot,from sharptails and huns on the prairies,to big local honkers,to blue grouse in the hills for the last 9 years!Gunner is better on waterfowl,and Boomer is a little better on upland birds.They make quite a team,and are an irreplacable part of my life! Gunner