Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The Grizzly Thread

Re: The Grizzly Thread

As a community, I think we all (myself included) need to do better at respecting the fact that other people have different opinions and beliefs and that is OK. I think if this conversation was had in real life it would be done in a way that doesn’t lead to accusations and name calling. Just because someone doesn’t like the idea of leaving a few hundred pounds of meat in the bush doesn’t meant that they aren’t a vital part of this commmunity.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    As a community, I think we all (myself included) need to do better at respecting the fact that other people have different opinions and beliefs and that is OK. I think if this conversation was had in real life it would be done in a way that doesn’t lead to accusations and name calling. Just because someone doesn’t like the idea of leaving a few hundred pounds of meat in the bush doesn’t meant that they aren’t a vital part of this commmunity.
    Great post!!!!

This study on marsupials in australia made me think of grizzlies.
    They lost all fear of predators after 13 generations.
    Grizzlies are dangerous enough already - we dont need them thinking man is nothing to fear.

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-specie...20generations.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Yes, I've never saw anything like it.
    Here's the video again!
    The full post was switched to "kill a moose save caribou"

Grizz kills caribou last fall. Great video.
    Note the speed & endurance of the bear. They can run around 50 ft. per second.

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans(similar to wolf’s). A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."

Seems like the grizz smelled the caribou from a long distance before seeing it.
    Obviously the wind was favourable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTbOsZe0dZ0

A great video of grizz hunting caribou from a few months ago.

Big grizz chases a huge caribou herd heading south in Brooks Range (northern Alaska/Yukon) & trying to separate mothers & calves.
    He’s after calves as expected & finds 2 that are playing dead (see 1:11). Looks like he thinks the first one is dead & while approaching the second one they both being faster successfully escaped.

<font size="3">
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I have no desire to hunt a grizzly, and even LESS desire to be hunted BY one!
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I have no desire to hunt a grizzly, and even LESS desire to be hunted BY one!
    I drew a griz leh in reg some years back. Chose to hunt with a muzzleloader.

Got within range of a couple but never got a shot. Never killed a griz, but what an awesome hunt and it was so different having a tag in my pocket do the opposite of what i would normally do by trying to find and get close to a griz.

Like I said, was an amazing hunt.

Have been on a handful of amazing hunts, getting close just to determine whether a shooter or not
    Anyone can sign up for that hunt, then walk away
    pics are often blurry for some reason
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

2 grizzly's living within 3 miles of me. There used to be 7 within 5 miles.
    Bear aware takes on a whole new meaning around here.
    Fish fertilizer in the garden Ha, never.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    Yes, I've never saw anything like it.
    Here's the video again!
    The full post was switched to "kill a moose save caribou"

Grizz kills caribou last fall. Great video.
    Note the speed & endurance of the bear. They can run around 50 ft. per second.

"Bears are thought to have the best sense of smell of any animal on earth. For example, the average dog’s sense of smell is 100 times better than a humans(similar to wolf’s). A blood hound’s is 300 times better. A bear’s sense of smell is 7 times better than a blood hound’s or 2,100 times better than a human."

Seems like the grizz smelled the caribou from a long distance before seeing it.
    Obviously the wind was favourable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTbOsZe0dZ0

Another example of how quickly the grizz can run.
    -Yellowstone July 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXVOml_SA4&t=41s

Last edited by mpotzold; 11-29-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Great post Mpotzold ! Amazing footage ! The endurance those bears have is extraordinary to say the least .

A grizzly bears Olfactory senses are 2100 times more acute than humans . There brain is 1/3 the size of ours but their Olfactory bulb is 5 times greater . They can smell some scents 20 miles away .
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-29-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !