Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grizzly Thread

Re: The Grizzly Thread

LOL well your nose stopped working in my case you reposted lbm comments. but you made the claim im not a sheep hunter and yes i apologize mixed you up with lbm post it was him that has been in the muskwa prophet area but you tagged his post and made the post that im posing as a sheep hunter. i put a a few pics yet that doesnt seem to please ya. alls good have a good hunting season. if you ever want to hunt sheep id be happy to offer some help

Stoneramhunter, I find it somewhat interesting that you seem to be onboard with the wolf cull, but for some reason you seem to be against the grizzly hunt because it is a "trophy hunt"? Wolves indescriminantly shot from a helicopter with no regards to age or family unit composition is ok, but killing a bear and enriching ones life for the experience isn't ok?

For the record, I have zero issue with people who hunt for the experience when done fairly, making their own decisions, and reconciling that experience in their minds for their own benefit. Being led by the nuts to a big bull elk or ram or deer that other people patterned and hunted isn't a hunt to me, its merely being the trigger man in the execution of an animal.
    I don't classify killing a hog in the pen in my back yard as a hunt, even though I was the only person involved in the entire process from trigger pull to pork chop.
    I have zero issue with people, like myself, who are picky on the animals they kill, and let the experience guide their compass on when they are ready for a hunt to be over.
    I also have zero issue with people who are as thrilled with shooting a spike muley from the side of the road as I am from finding a mature 4 point high in the rocks on the last day of the season. Not everyone hunts for the same reasons. I hunt deer every single year, all season long, but I sure as hell don't do it for the meat.
    And yes, I absolutely do classify myself as a trophy hunter. I don't find issue with the term.

I wrote this a couple years ago when I was feeling a bit verbose, and possibly a bit tipsy. (I apologize to the ones who have read it already, but it did seem kind of fitting in this thread...)

Not everyone hunts for the same reasons. Period.

I am a sheep hunter. I love sheep meat, but I have no interest in hunting ewes. I will not condemn those that choose to though. I hunt sheep for the experience, for the chance to be out there in their country and watch them, and for the hope that I can find one big enough to kill so that I can posses him, hold his horns in my hands, and wonder about the chips and gouges he acquired in his life time. I will look at those horns on the wall and relieve those days long past the time that I am able to climb those mountains. The meat will be eaten because I like it, but that is a trophy to me as well. Few will be able to taste the meat of a mountain sheep fairly hunted, but I have.

I am a grizzly hunter. I run my fingers through the long fur of the mountain grizzly I killed, and I will relive those moments where I trailed him through the alders after I shot him. I will watch the video of his reaction to the shot as he fed high on a mountain slide, and I will be secure in the knowledge that my life is better for that experience, for I have hunted the grizzly in his home, on his terms. I did not hunt that bear so that his flesh might sustain me, I hunted that bear to collect the memories and to know deep down that I have been tested, and stood strong.

I am an elk hunter. I hunted elk across mountains and through forests. And I listened to the sweet sound of elk bugles and chuckles and grunts, and it filled my soul with purity and strength. I let animals that I could have killed walk unmolested, because they didn't meet the criteria I held myself to at that time. And when that season came close to ending I killed an elk that had no antlers, had no teeth, had nothing to offer in the way of a trophy but the memories, and it's sweet meat that fed my family over the winter.

I cannot pretend to fully understand your motivations for you trying to tell me why I should be ashamed of my reasons to hunt. And I don't expect you to understand my reasons to hunt. I can tell you though, that I am not ashamed of killing a bear, and taking his hide so that I might better remember his life. And I am not ashamed that his flesh fed the Ravens and Eagles and sustained lives other than mine, for that was his purpose, much the same as every other living being that has existed. Had I not killed that boar high on that mountain, his flesh would have come to no different end, possibly at some other time, but after his last breath, the result would have been the same; he provided life to other animals that needed it.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 07-20-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: fromatting

Kodiakhunter thanks for the response. Reading your post I would like to believe your a decent guy with hunting savvy But I’m fairly confident saying you wouldn’t shoot a Deer and leave the meat . Really no different than a Grizzly. That’s my stand. Some have posted that grizzley should be hunted because attacks will become fairly norm as if there’s a grizz behind every tree simply not true and a myriad of other reasons . Some claim they hunt grizzly for the meat perhaps a small number do if so never met one and I have been hunting a long time. Once again I’m not against grizzly hunting but it’s a trophy hunt call it what it is. hunters should still be required to take the meat out. I don’t think that should be difficult to accept . Once again for clarity not opposing the grizzly hunt

Have a great hunting season.

I personally find fault in the concept that the only acceptable reason to hunt an animal is for meat. Have you ever shot a wolf? Coyote? Wolverine? How did they taste?

no never shot a wolf coyote or wolverine. i think youre implying correct me if im wron thatyour saying if i shot one i should pack the meat out? having said that i think a grizzly hunt is slightly different than a gcoyote not looking to get into a pissing match with you. im not against hunting as ive stated. i have issue specifcally with grizzly hunt and leaving the meat. . i dont have any thoughts on coyotes wolverines. everyone has thre reasons to hunt i dont slam them personally i simply have an opinion and no i dont try to shame anyone. having said that thres several on here who get downright nasty and personal alls good im comfortable as a hunter and still respect others points of view.

That's not the point I'm trying to make with you.

Do you fish? Do you kill each fish you catch and then as soon as you hit your limit (either personal or legal limit that is) then you stop fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    no never shot a wolf coyote or wolverine. i think youre implying correct me if im wron thatyour saying if i shot one i should pack the meat out? having said that i think a grizzly hunt is slightly different than a gcoyote not looking to get into a pissing match with you. im not against hunting as ive stated. i have issue specifcally with grizzly hunt and leaving the meat. . i dont have any thoughts on coyotes wolverines. everyone has thre reasons to hunt i dont slam them personally i simply have an opinion and no i dont try to shame anyone. having said that thres several on here who get downright nasty and personal alls good im comfortable as a hunter and still respect others points of view.
    This is the point I am trying to make. What you are saying to me, whether you realize it or not, is that you don't agree with MY reasons to hunt grizzlies because it doesn't correspond with what you think is an acceptable reason. You are directly saying that my reasons aren't valid, because they don't line up with your reasons. You are virtue signalling to everyone here that you think your reasons are more valid than my reasons.

You are directly damaging my ability to hunt grizzlies every time you say something like that online or in conversation by giving your beliefs validity. You are allowed to have your opinion and your beliefs but use those to govern your own life.
    Whether I recover every single ounce of meat or not from a grizzly killed has zero impact on you. I don't know you, I won't be sharing any meat with you, you won't be in my home and looking at that mount. You won't even see the pictures of the hunt or hear the memories I have. It has zero impact on your life, other than the idea of someone doing something you don't agree with offends you.

My actions and beliefs don't have to fit into your life. So don't have your actions or beliefs imposed on mine.

Whether the meat of a bear gets utilized or not has no impact on anyone other than myself. If you were to stumble onto a complete rotting carcass after the hide had been peeled off it would still have no impact on you. If I had boned out that animal completely down to the slivers there would still be the exact same amount of meat for you to have. Even if you and your family were starving and depended on that bear to survive, there would be no net difference. Either the bears and birds and bugs ate him, or I did. There still would be zero gain for you because I found him and killed him first.

You have your reasons for not shooting wolves or coyotes or wolverines. The idea that you have had opportunity to do so and chose not to offends me greatly, but I don't come on here and call you out for it. The extent of my involvement in your life to that regard is simply that I shake my head and carry on killing coyotes and wolves every time the legal opportunity presents itself. I understand that you HAVE reasons for your actions, and let it go at that because I respect the fact that you have reasons.

Live your life, have your beliefs, and keep them to yourself. Beliefs are to govern YOUR actions, not anyone else's.

not sure what your getting at but yes i fish mostly trout sometimes Salmon and never past the limit only what i need. why? is there some corelation to why its okay to leave grizz meat behind and fishing. thats a hunters personal choice i think it hurts hunting however thats my opinion once again no intent to shame or put anybody personally down . to those who say they hunt grizzz and take the meat out good for you. i had a ranch north of Dawson on the banks of the peace river for close tio thirty five years full of deer elk moose and bear. i never allowedd hunting on it and didnt hunt the ranch myself at all. it became quite the sanctuary for animals 1000 acre spread but as soon as they crossed the fence line alls fair. i allowed my friends to stay at my place and hunt the surrounding areas. it worked out to be a good solution for me and the wildlife. itr was a personal chioice to do it and no regret as the animals thrived. no need to go into the mountains for elk

your not gonna silence me from having an opinion and you have the same right. Im NOT imposing anything on you if you can read my posts i clearly state its a personal desicion one makes. id be equally opininated if someone killed a sheep a deer or and elk and left the meat. its doesnt help hunting . and id like to believe im not the only one who thinks that way. once again im not imposing anything on ya . you want to shoot animals and leave the meat behind thats your choice i just dont happen to agree. and if my opinion so offends you that its personal for ya dont read my posts or ignore me i have thick skin. trust me my little opinion didnt shut down the grizzly hunt Im not that influential

The issue is that you don't understand that by minimizing someone else's reasons to hunt is that you damage everyone's ability to hunt. You are actively working against anyone being able to hunt because some one else's reasons to hunt don't necessarily line up with yours.

If people continue on with the "its only ok if you eat it" argument then soon people will only be able to hunt stuff that the general public sees as acceptable table fodder. And then the next step is "well, its really about the meat", and we can raise domestic goats/pigs/chickens/beef in much smaller parcels of land than the wilderness. And if there is no need to go to the wilderness to hunt because the meat is made in a controlled area then there is no need to have public access to the wilderness. And no reason to have a 4x4 because you don't need that to go to Safeway, so that cuts down on fuel which saves the planet. We can bus people to Jasper if they want to see a mountain or a goat.

You can have your opinion, nobody is saying you can't. But let your opinion govern your own life. Choose to NOT hunt a grizzly and not have to worry about getting the meat out. Let everyone else worry about their own decisions and lives, mind your own.