Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woody box results already!

Woody box results already!

This is sure early but we have a hen sitting on 16 eggs already! It never gets old putting the phone in and getting this image on inspection!!!
    Some other pics from our cameras show we are about to have more hens laying eggs soon.
    Thanks for the comments on my previous post!

Buddi doing what she does best!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Woody box results already!

Great pics, thanks!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Wow, great job Dan!!! Those pics are worthy of a Duck Stamp, good on you guys!! K

Neato! Sixteen eggs, she’s going to be very busy soon.

Wow, already a nest and it's just April the first. Sixteen eggs, one a day laid, she started mid March. We got those boxes done just in time.

Good to see, great pictures! You have boxes in the bog as well?
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

I'm not much of a bird hunter and haven't done it for ages.
    But those pictures are just awesome!
    You are doing a great job helping those ducks.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

We put out 80 in Pitt Marsh,14 at the property I hunt. I still have 8 more to put out. Possibly up on Alouette slough....

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Good to see, great pictures! You have boxes in the bog as well?

Hey Dano,

I saw your previous thread and this is a great initiative from you guys.

I have a couple of questions for you:

are you working with a club/ conservation group or this is independent initiative?
    is anything like this happening in Nanaimo or cowichan Bay Area? I would like to volunteer.
    are the boxes intended only for wood ducks?
    what permits are required to set this boxes (municipal, provincial, federal)?

We are an independent group, Pitt Waterfowlers. Just friends and hunters we’ve met who were also interested in the project. My dad was a founding member of the Pitt Waterfowl Association, they had boxes all over the lower mainland (including Pitt Marsh) back in the ‘70’s-‘80’s. They also brought in 500 Canada geese in ‘72 (a big success! ).
    We've had 5 hooded mergansers nest in the boxes as well as a number of tree swallows. Wildlife guys asked us not to disturb any nests, if we ever have a starling in one, it will be removed.
    So far we’ve had high numbers of ducks and swallows which is great. Our cameras have picked up Northern Flickers on the boxes and the other night I had one poke it’s head out of a box, none have nested yet though.
    No permit on private land (where the pics are) and DU and Environment guy said ok for the marsh.
    This is year 6, we put out 7 the first year, I think 8 more the next. It took off from there but 13 and 18 new boxes the last couple years.
    Last edited by Dano; 04-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.