Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

I can't find the exact source, but I've read several times that the number of sold hunting licences is between 95,000-100,000 per year. 2014 BC pop. was 4.6 million, so that's around 2% of the population being active hunters. Keep that figure in mind, we are a tiny minority.

ORV use has exploded over the past decade. Folks used to have a ORV as a tool for a specific purposes (hunting, fishing, ranching, remote work etc.) now people buy one for the sake of driving around in a quads/sxs. I often hear conversations about how far they got or how high they went. I wonder how many alpine peaks and ridges have been 'conquered' by the mighty ORV when a decade ago they only saw boots and hooves. Can't have 'go anywhere with anything access' and healthy wildlife populations, those goals are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Waserwolf, I hope some of the info here helps you. Sorry about the unwanted debates. Just tie on your boots and hit the mountains. Whether you see big muleys or not, it will be worth it to be up there.
    Brez.

No worries about my thread getting off track. There are some interesting comments being made.

My Father In Law inspired me to hunt the Alpine. On our last hunting trip we were viewing an Alpine Basin, he looked up and said "I always wanted to hunt a Mule Deer in the Alpine." My Father In Law has been striken with ALS so he never will have the opportunity to hunt the Alpine. I've decided not to say "one day" anymore.

I don't even care about shooting something big. I just want to hunt in some of Gods beautiful creation.

I've reached out to some guys in this thread (check your PM's) I'm hoping to at least spend some time with someone to discuss Alpine Hunting.

Thanks again.

Back to topic. How's this for Alpine Hunting Grounds?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wow that's nice.
    According to my Image searches on the Monashees the Apline is somewhat flatter once you get up there.

I'm hoping to start by doing some easier well known hikes like Twin Lakes. I'll also be talkin to my Aunt and Uncle who have hiked MANY areas within the Monashees.

Anybody have more Alpine Pics with or without game for added inspiration?

Kootenaihunter . Spectacular Picture !
    Arctic Lake

A couple more
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Back to topic. How's this for Alpine Hunting Grounds?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Beautiful pic! Any advice on approach to hunting mulies / blacktail in this terrain? I've been looking at region 2 alpine on Google Maps / hiking forums and this is what it all looks like to me... thick growth in basin cutting right into into steep, rocky slopes. Hiking in isn't really a problem... more like what do I do once I'm there.

I did some alpine / subalpine hunting last year in region 3 with my brother and saw a bunch of does and some buck sign before we ran out of time - but that looked a lot more like your second pic than this!

Without a massive amount of experience, I would offer this:

Scout ahead of time, don't put all your eggs in once basket. Anything that is holding animals could be a better bet than something that doesn't. Late summer water sources are a good starting point, tarns, alpine lakes, glacier run off, etc. Fun summer hikes double as scouting trip. GPS waypoint sign, trails, etc.
    All deer need is a small patch of trees to bed down and hang out in the mid-day sun/heat, so don't rule out the 3-10 tree patches right at tree line.
    Go high first thing while wind is coming downhill. Once at the top you can scout, and then come down on animals once the wind switches uphill, usually 11AM+
    Get good glass, bino mount for a tripod and/or a decent spotting scope.
    Bug spray! Alpine can be rotten with black flies, if you play the wind, scent shouldn't be a huge issue.

That'd be my approach.

That's what I was figuring... thanks, guess I'll just have to suck it up

Here's a pic from where we were last year:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3060 (4).jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	6905  

Quote Originally Posted by codeitin View Post
    That's what I was figuring... thanks, guess I'll just have to suck it up

Here's a pic from where we were last year:

Firstly, this photo above is more the type of area I hunted, which is "flatter" then the other photos which does start getting into goat country.
    Also, sorry if this got of track in the thread from your OP.
    I was only trying to give a past experiences of "where I hunted", not the whole province.
    Unfortunately, you will find (as I did back then), that some folks just cant leave their ATV's behind to hunt in these area, if they can find a trail.
    When things where good, as I stated, you had to walk or use horses, ATV's were only starting to be sold, and the logging raods
    all over and close to the alpine didn't exist.

For the OP, if you want, you can pm me for those areas I went, but, from my understanding, the other fellow I went with, the person who shared to me these area and allowed me to experience this "hunting in the alpine", has given up on that area,
    due to all those factors I stated, and the fact that the deer were just no longer there like they were in the past .
    (and no, there were no wolves there, when the deer started to drop off)

What I can tell you is, there are other areas you can explore in the Monashees, by going thru backroads mapbook, you will be
    able to find trails that you can explore in the summer.
    You may even find some whitetails, from my understanding, getting up there in elevation as well now.
    If your lucky, you may even spot some elk, and yes, grizz like that elevation as well.
    One thing....just don't "scimp" on your "sleeping bag"! or take the one just because it is "so light" to pack.
    Nothing worse then trying to sleep, but you cant, cause your shaking so badly from freezing all night.
    Other then lightning storms while up high, being so cold one night was my worst hunting experience ever.