Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

This weekend will be the second scouting / camping trip so far this year. Lots of country to explore and gear to test out.
    Still lots of snow up top it seems:
    [IMG]https://i.imgur.com/a8s8rvk.jpg[/IMG]
    ig: mmckimmi

Where are you guys at? It seems that a lot of reg 3 areas have been snow free for a while already. Yet I couldn't even get to Flora lake in the wack as there was still like 3 feet of snow at only 1600m.

Pick an area that looks good on Google Earth. Hike, scramble, spend a few nights up high, glass. Scouted for a few days in 2 different spots. Saw approx. 20 bucks, some of them will be 4pt. Set up 3 cams, #4 is going in this weekend in a brand new spot. If you have hunted mule deer up high before you know what spots to look for.

Was out scouting a new subalpine ridge two weeks ago in region 8, still had some pockets with several feet of snow on the north facing side around 1800m. Tons of sign, but the bushwhacking and gain was worse than it looked on Google Maps (surprise) so I didn't get in as high as I wanted to glass, and forgot my cam to boot. Planned to get back there last weekend for an overnighter, but looks like that will have to wait until August... pretty sure I'll be making a play there September.

I could look at maps all day long. It's almost an obsession. Google earth is a great resource and is great for planning. But as TwoSeven0 said, It makes everything look easy. You can increase the 3D exaggeration to give yourself a better perspective to see what you are up against.
    Hit TOOLS>OPTIONS>ELEVATION EXAGGERATION. I bump it up to around 1.5.

But, what's that saying about the best laid plans of mice and men?... The best thing you can do is just get boots on the ground. You could invest a lot of time planning a route on a map or google earth just to that find out that the grassy field was a swamp, or trail is now covered with impenetrable slide alders. If you make GPS tracks you can then go back and fine tune your routes. You'll have a better idea of your km/hr, terrain, etc.
    I have never felt that going for a hike has been a waste of time. Even if you don't make it to where you were trying to go, you'll come out with a bit more knowledge that you had before. But take it from me, I have wasted a lot of time scouting from the couch.

With that being said, I'm new to the forum. thanks for having me. there sure is a wealth of knowledge on this site. But it would be great if someone could PM me the coordinates of where I can find a 200"+ alpine mule deer. Hunting is hard

^^^^^i haven't hunted mulies too much in alpine yet but I do plan to at some point....I've hiked lots in the sub alpine and can agree, it can be a lot different on the ground compared to google maps.....

I thought about running cams in the alpine when drinking beer and doing some Google earth hunting off my couch in my underwear .... but then I remember how far of a drive it is and how hard of a hike it is and go "nahh ... blacktail spots are way closer" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    Good Day All.

Recently I've been inspired to do some Alpine Hunting, Mule Deer and Goat.
    Typically I like to walk, hunting clear cuts with no road access but I need more. I'm working on getting set up, recently i purchased the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and love it!

I live in Armstrong, any pointers on where to go would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for your Honey Holes just a general direction in where to go. I'm pretty confident I'll find Goats around Revy. How about Muleys?

Thank You.
    Well where ever you hunt, if you're hunting goats always remember. The view going up after a goat is always better than the view back down after he's phuked off. Maybe it's me, but I got my self into places that were easy getting into, but once I had to turn around and go back down, I realized how steep it was.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hard access doesn't mean more deer or better deer. I've busted my ass Into some remote spots that have no quad truck bicycle access at all and been sorely disappointed with the number of deer around.

haha oh man, this was the story for my hunting partner and I last year in all of the "Prime" alpine locations

Pretty good read here. I’m headed as high as I can in reg 8 Tuesday Wednesday Thursday for a scout. Drop some cams off and glass my days away. Will hopefully bring some pics back of this years target. See how it goes