Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    Alpine hunt is the best! The harder the access, the better, the more deer.
    I will be scouting one specific area this year that I know holds deer. Weekend high alpine camp in July, put up a camera and go in again mid August. Then you know what to expect.
    Google Earth is your friend for targeting general areas.
    I had a great time goat hunting least year in early September, again, very high alpine in great weather with stunning views.
    Alpine hunting is very hard but very rewarding in many aspects.
    Hard access doesn't mean more deer or better deer. I've busted my ass Into some remote spots that have no quad truck bicycle access at all and been sorely disappointed with the number of deer around.

Edit: generally you are correct just not always the case. How was your goat hunt? Were you successful? which region? Leh or gos?
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 04-09-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hard access doesn't mean more deer or better deer. I've busted my ass Into some remote spots that have no quad truck bicycle access at all and been sorely disappointed with the number of deer around.

Edit: generally you are correct just not always the case. How was your goat hunt? Were you successful? which region? Leh or gos?
    I hear ya.some People always think that the deer are always where no one wants to go. There are many good spots that have quick easy access. I too have learnt the hard way of thinking just because a spot looks really great and is really remote that it must be good.
    Hunting the promised land

Upwards of 250 people a day including small childern hike to where Widebugger used to call home. Funny how some of the easiest access can produce some of the biggest bucks.

Bucks stand still a lot, peer out of little groves of deciduous -- still is the word -- look for movement.
    Jel -- bucks peer and peek from behind cover --

The up and comers would do well to dissect everything Dino and Dana have to say on this topic and i don't mean this thread only .... just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    The up and comers would do well to dissect everything Dino and Dana have to say on this topic and i don't mean this thread only .... just sayin
    ^^^^This . I'm taking notes
    ig: mmckimmi

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Yup, if you care about seeing critters and having some possibility of success, scouting is a big commitment. I used to wake up at 1:00 am, drive to where I would start hiking, climb a mountain in the dark and be glassing shortly after 4:00. Or i would coyote out with a light tarp and sleeping bag so I could maximize the glassing time and get both evening and next morning scouting done in a short trip. Bigger trips I would leave on Friday after work, sleep in the truck and be hiking in the dark to be glassing at daylight. Glass and hike all day Sat and sleep up top and glass the morning on Sunday and hike out and head home. I did these adventures weekend after weekend all summer long. Some weekends you would see a bunch of deer, other weekends you'd strike out.
    Must not have a old lady lol...wish I could do that lol wouldn't hear the end of it

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    Must not have a old lady lol...wish I could do that lol wouldn't hear the end of it
    Haha! I hear you!

He could be a real man and have a great woman that both have a mutual respect and understanding for each others passions.
    It's rare but it does still exist.i know what your saying though,most men have just turned into imasculated wimps.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    He could be a real man and have a great woman that both have a mutual respect and understanding for each others passions.
    It's rare but it does still exist.i know what your saying though,most men have just turned into imasculated wimps.
    It's spelled emasculated..lol