Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    It's spelled emasculated..lol
    I had two choices with my spell check, my wife said it starts with an" i ". I do what she says or she won't let me go hunting.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    I had two choices with my spell check, my wife said it starts with an" i ". I do what she says or she won't let me go hunting.
    And that is the definition of "emasculate". lol
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

He could be a real man and have a great woman that both have a mutual respect and understanding for each others passions.
    It's rare but it does still exist.i know what your saying though,most men have just turned into imasculated wimps.
    My favorite is the guy who's wife is pregnant and now he isn't allowed to have a beer either .... lol. Grow a pair.

He could be a real man and have a great woman that both have a mutual respect and understanding for each others passions.
    It's rare but it does still exist.i know what your saying though,most men have just turned into imasculated wimps.
    I've been happily married to my best friend for 24 years now. She has always been very supportive of my outdoor passions.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Hard access doesn't mean more deer or better deer. I've busted my ass Into some remote spots that have no quad truck bicycle access at all and been sorely disappointed with the number of deer around.

Edit: generally you are correct just not always the case. How was your goat hunt? Were you successful? which region? Leh or gos?
    Agree! Some spots look like they should hold deer but do not. But that's part of hunting finding those spots.
    Goat hunt was awesome and successful. Scouted 2 weeks before opening day. Confirmed there was a herd and several billies. Ended up getting an old fat billy on day 2. Took 2 days to hike and pack out. Epic. LEH goat somewhere in region 3

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    Agree! Some spots look like they should hold deer but do not. But that's part of hunting finding those spots.
    Goat hunt was awesome and successful. Scouted 2 weeks before opening day. Confirmed there was a herd and several billies. Ended up getting an old fat billy on day 2. Took 2 days to hike and pack out. Epic. LEH goat somewhere in region 3
    Good for you. Always great to hear when those elusive reg 3 goat tags get filled!

Got pics? You can PM me if you don't wanna share on here!

Hope you got a nice mount. What was the age confirmed by bios?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Good for you. Always great to hear when those elusive reg 3 goat tags get filled!

Got pics? You can PM me if you don't wanna share on here!

Hope you got a nice mount. What was the age confirmed by bios?
    Haha, wish I had pics. Cell phone blew up on trip. No pics. Guy at the inspection estimated 10 or 11 years. Horns were 10.5". I don't like head mount, just took scull cap and horns and mounted those on a nice cedar plaque. Waiting for my rug though. Carried out from nose to tail. I have had LEH goat tag two consecutive years in region 3. Seen lots of goats all over the place. Billies are a little harder to find but some hang out with the herd.

I wish to offer a couple comments.

If you want to move up the curve of success take the time to learn an area, the game in it, before you hunt.
    Learn to identify habitat that a species requires.
    There are variables within that spectrum, pred presence (as dana endlessly points out), hot weather that can burn out alpine feed before the season. (this a thread about alpine hunting)

I have seen it endless times where guys confuse covering ground with hunting.
    Learn what to look for.
    Why to look there.
    When to look there.

Once you understand those basic dynamics and invest far more time in scouting and learning an area vs the time you hunt it.....u r on the right path.
    Last edited by Ourea; 04-16-2018 at 08:35 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I wish to offer a couple comments.

If you want to move up the curve of success take the time to learn an area, the game in it, before you hunt.
    Learn to identify habitat that a species require.
    There are variables within that spectrum, pred presence (as dana endlessly points out), hot weather that can burn out alpine feed before the season.

I have seen it endless times where guys confuse covering ground with hunting.
    Learn what to look for.
    Why to look there.
    When to look there.

A rule of thumb for consistent success
    Very valid points .... but:

1. Learning the alpine is incredibly difficult as its so remote. For most it is at least a few hrs drive and few hrs hike, so 2 days lost in travel alone. So now you're down to long weekends only for 1 day of scouting, or taking time off work. Add to that the fact that most of the areas aren't accessible until July and how many scouting trips can you realistically get in?
    This year my scouting plan is to hike up in July and leave a couple of cameras and salt in the areas i've seen deer. My intent is to leave the cameras up there all year and analyse the times/dates later and look for patterns in their movement. (Of course, this only helps once you've already found an area that animals frequent. If you're starting from scratch, cameras might not help much until you narrow the zone down).

2. I was paranoid about what the hot dry summer we had did to the alpine, but I still went. The place was more brown than i've seen it in 2016, but the animals were still there. The feed was still there. Every north-facing slope and finger ridge was full of lush green feed. Every creek edge and gully was lined with green, same with the area under the canopy of the trees and shrubs up there. Evening dew was strong where we were. Very wet and very slippery at dusk. Plenty of H20 for the deer and I guess enough to sustain the vegetation even though it was a very dry summer. Lots of grass on the big, exposed alpine meadows was browning. The point is, i'll never let the dry summers discourage me, unless the area burns up.