Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

The thing with the alpine is this, and it was already brought up several pages ago ..... why do we even bother with it? Honestly .... there is a new thread every week it seems, yet i have not seen a pic of a big BC alpine mulie in years. I can't remember the last time a big velvet buck was taken in BC (that was posted publicly, at least). I think the alpine hunt is highly romanticised on the internet with almost all success stories coming from Wyoming and Colorado and with people in the off season thinking how awesome it is to hunt that open country.

There are better and easier places to get bucks in BC. Places closer to home; closer to the truck.

I got into it in 2014 with an "i gotta get away from people" attitude. I had lost a couple of spots in region 8-5 and 3-19 that I would consider fairly close to home that just started getting overrun with people. I spent that winter searching google earth for candidate spots and was quick out of the gate in 2015 to give it a go. I scouted several locations in Regions 2, 3 & 8 and wasted a lot of time just trying to break above the tree line. Never saw an animal. In 2016 I acquired a little more backpacking gear and spent some nights on the mountains and started to figure things out a little more. In 2017 things didn't quite work out with the guy i took up with me. Unfortunately he turned out to be the type to convince you to leave early rather than to push harder and persevere. And unfortunately, the vision of sitting on the edge of my tent, drinking hot tea in the early morning and glassing the alpine bowl below me with my new spotting scope didn't quite turn out the way I had imagined either. I was lucky to spot a couple of deer here or there but none that would warrant a 5hr packout. I have learned a ton. There's no doubt about that.

So why do I still go? ..... Well, where else am I going to be hunting on Sept 1? Nowhere. Nothing else is open on Sept 1 .... except sheep. And maybe I'll try that after I bag my first velvet mulie
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 04-16-2018 at 09:11 PM.

After years of scouting and hunting an incredible chunk of alpine, I finally connected on 7x6 203” non typical mulie in early September 2017. Keep working hard and smart. One day it will come together

Quote Originally Posted by WKCotts View Post
    After years of scouting and hunting an incredible chunk of alpine, I finally connected on 7x6 203” non typical mulie in early September 2017. Keep working hard and smart. One day it will come together
    Any pics? Would be nice.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by WKCotts View Post
    I agree with dino. You can’t just say that and not post a pic! Lol.

Ya a pic would be nice ( a nice change from most threads).
    Either way, I believe him.
    I have seen some monsters that weren't taken too long ago.
    So, they exist.

There is nothing like alpine muley hunting. I like it better than sheep hunting. What's wrong with guys having to go out scouting and finding places and game by themselves? That's how I did it. That's how most of the guys I have hunted with did it. Why do people feel that they can ask for and are entitled to someone elses' hard won info so that they can get an "easy" animal. Years ago I drove around with my wife and babies during summers to check for possible access to areas that I found by climbing moutains and glassing and even hiring planes to fly over large areas.
    As said on some post I read somewhere, "Put your phone down, pull up your pants, it's time to get to work Cupcake!"
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    There is nothing like alpine muley hunting. I like it better than sheep hunting. What's wrong with guys having to go out scouting and finding places and game by themselves? That's how I did it. That's how most of the guys I have hunted with did it. Why do people feel that they can ask for and are entitled to someone elses' hard won info so that they can get an "easy" animal. Years ago I drove around with my wife and babies during summers to check for possible access to areas that I found by climbing moutains and glassing and even hiring planes to fly over large areas.
    As said on some post I read somewhere, "Put your phone down, pull up your pants, it's time to get to work Cupcake!"
    Preach it!!!

Everyone has to start somewhere .... though I think an infinitely more productive approach is to build relationships and talk to people and eventually you'll get some good pointers.

Example, attending the sheep count would've been a good one to do that at!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Ya a pic would be nice ( a nice change from most threads).
    Either way, I believe him.
    I have seen some monsters that weren't taken too long ago.
    So, they exist.
    Its not that i dont believe him. I just really enjoy pics of good muleys. Especially a carefully selected alpine buck.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Its not that i dont believe him. I just really enjoy pics of good muleys. Especially a carefully selected alpine buck.
    It's real and he earned every inch of that buck.
    Took a few years of hardcore scouting and close the deal.

Casual hunts seldom produce big results.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea