Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

BUMP!

Soooo ..... who went out? Who got what?

Party of three went out. One shot a nice 4pt in velvet. I passed on a potential 4pt that I could not 100% ID as legal. Saw lots of 3pts and 2pts. Trying different spot for 4pt again as long as they are in the alpine. With this weather they might move sooner.

We may hit Mt Ingersoll near Whatshan depending on the Weather Forecast. Anybody have a 2nd option to a guy who is new to Alpine Hunting? Also considering 3-28 based on recommendation by Jelvis. BTW I live in Armstrong. PM me if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    BUMP!

Soooo ..... who went out? Who got what?

Rumor has it you have something to add in that department... Lead by example!

Thepitchedlink.....I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hickman View Post
    Party of three went out. One shot a nice 4pt in velvet. I passed on a potential 4pt that I could not 100% ID as legal. Saw lots of 3pts and 2pts. Trying different spot for 4pt again as long as they are in the alpine. With this weather they might move sooner.
    Right on. Good work.

Hi everyone. New season coming up and I'm new to hunting. I've been doing some chair scouting on Google Earth to identify some alpine spots that might be worth heading to the next few weekends. If anyone would be willing to give me some advice regarding some of the potential spots I've picked, I'd be grateful. PM would be much appreciated. Not looking for handouts, just hoping to learn to read the land. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thedizzyyak View Post
    Hi everyone. New season coming up and I'm new to hunting. I've been doing some chair scouting on Google Earth to identify some alpine spots that might be worth heading to the next few weekends. If anyone would be willing to give me some advice regarding some of the potential spots I've picked, I'd be grateful. PM would be much appreciated. Not looking for handouts, just hoping to learn to read the land. Thanks!
    get out there and put your boots on the ground. Do some scouting before the season. If someone knows your spot they certainly won't tell you, the more time you spend in an area the more you will understand how to hunt it. It simply takes time to learn where the deer travel routes are and when they are there, and even then weather and other factors can change those patterns. But if you are seeing deer you know your in the right spot. Good luck, the beauty thing about alpine is you can utilize bino's to cover a lot of ground.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    get out there and put your boots on the ground. Do some scouting before the season. If someone knows your spot they certainly won't tell you, the more time you spend in an area the more you will understand how to hunt it. It simply takes time to learn where the deer travel routes are and when they are there, and even then weather and other factors can change those patterns. But if you are seeing deer you know your in the right spot. Good luck, the beauty thing about alpine is you can utilize bino's to cover a lot of ground.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll just get out there and take a look. Happy hunting.

^^ if you're anything like me in my first few years of "digital scouting" you'll quickly learn that things that look flat and hospitable on satellite are anything but. It took me about 5 years to realize that one of the first places I ever scouted actually was loaded with deer so long as I stopped and smelled the roses per se. So my advice to you is trust your gut - and be patient! You might not see anything the first night, or the second, but if you find a place with game trails and lots of sign, and conditions seem "muley"... trust your gut and wait.

My "first place" now produced me a buck that I was thrilled to drop and share with the family and last year I had the pleasure of glassing a group of 6-8 does in the same area knowing all the while that it's just a matter of time before I see another buck there. I just ran out of time.