Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Alpine Hunting

Good Day All.

Recently I've been inspired to do some Alpine Hunting, Mule Deer and Goat.
    Typically I like to walk, hunting clear cuts with no road access but I need more. I'm working on getting set up, recently i purchased the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and love it!

I live in Armstrong, any pointers on where to go would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for your Honey Holes just a general direction in where to go. I'm pretty confident I'll find Goats around Revy. How about Muleys?

Thank You.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alpine Hunting

I can say there are no muley alpine honey holes anymore. Many areas that once produced are now void of deer because of heavy wolf presure. Deer are too vulnerable in the open country and would rather spend their time in thick mid to high elevation timber where the dogs have a harder time hunting them. The reality of it, you need to know how thick the wolves are in the area you choose to hunt. There are pockets scattered around where the dogs aren't as thick and you will find deer behaving normal and heading above treeline. But these areas are getting less and less as the wolf epidemic spreads across the province.

Head east to the monashees! Some pretty fine alpine out that way and not too far from you. Look for road access to get you close, hike on out and fill up that fine pack you bought!

Pemby_mess Guest

Grab a backroads map book for the area you're interested in, and spend some time on google earth. Drill down the the nitty gritty with a 1:50000 or less topo map that details the area you're interested in. Confirm access via your local forest district road status page.

That takes care of a lot of pre-scouting. Only way to know if your area holds deer/goat is to go on in and look. But you can narrow the search down a lot by using online resources, combined with general knowledge about your quarry's behaviour/preferences.

person to person beta is invaluable, but keep in mind a lot of it becomes out of date pretty quick. Especially with large nomadic wolf packs clearing out areas and moving on to the next, as Dana mentions. Also access changes in the mountains with regularity, both opening and closing according to overgrowth, geographic changes and the activities of resource exploitation.

Pemby Mess

Could you provide a link to the page Forest District Road Status ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake

I would have said the Monashees as well.

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Pemby Mess

Could you provide a link to the page Forest District Road Status ?
    Thank You !
    Arctic Lake
    YES SIR:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...o-sky-district

Just click on the district you're interested in

If you’d posted this about a month ago, before I went north for the season, I would’ve enjoyed chit chatting over a beer. A membership at the fish and game club is cheap. Go to the meetings or events; there’s a couple guys that could be of help.

4-38 does have easy draws to pull and holds goats. Some relatively easy access spots too once you find them

Sugar and Sicamous are close and have access to alpine. Even as local as Hunters. Some looking on google earth is always a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemby_mess View Post
    YES SIR:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...o-sky-district

Just click on the district you're interested in
    Thank You ! Appreciate it !
    Arctic Lake

as someone who got into Alpine hunting recently to get more and more away from the typical hunting down below, keep a few things in mind:

1. It's almost always going to take longer to get above that tree line than it looks.
    2. It's almost always WAAAAY steeper than it looks.
    3. You're not going to cover as much terrain as you marked out on Google Earth off your couch.

It's easy to start GPS-ing things while watching Netflix in the back ground and thinking "ok, i'll get up this ridge, if nothing i'll check out this bowl over here, then the other one behind this peak". In reality, that shit is no joke. Hunting mulies in the alpine is hard. You're gonna be pretty beat up and won't cover as much terrain as you might think. So better to glass lots and be thorough with your eyes than feet.

Also, remember that some areas don't have a whole lot of deer that are visible during the day in the open. They might still be there but they might spend 99% of their time just in the tree line in the subalpine forest.