Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Alpine Hunting

Re: Alpine Hunting

Setting Google earth terrain exaggeration from it's default setting at 1 to 1.5 will tell you a way better idea of what the steepness/accessibility of the area really is

I posted this on the very first page, and i think it's worth repeating for the new, eager guys and gals looking to climb up high

as someone who got into Alpine hunting recently to get more and more away from the typical hunting down below, keep a few things in mind:

1. It's almost always going to take longer to get above that tree line than it looks.
    2. It's almost always WAAAAY steeper than it looks.
    3. You're not going to cover as much terrain as you marked out on Google Earth off your couch.

It's easy to start GPS-ing things while watching Netflix in the back ground and thinking "ok, i'll get up this ridge, if nothing i'll check out this bowl over here, then the other one behind this peak". In reality, that shit is no joke. Hunting mulies in the alpine is hard. You're gonna be pretty beat up and won't cover as much terrain as you might think. So better to glass lots and be thorough with your eyes than feet.

Also, remember that some areas don't have a whole lot of deer that are visible during the day in the open. They might still be there but they might spend 99% of their time just in the tree line in the subalpine forest.

I read Dana's comment from the first page, and I think it's almost a blessing for some of us to be getting into the alpine hunts at this time. If you don't know about the days of 50+ deer in the alpine in one weekend of scouting, then you have nothing to be disappointed about.

I just returned from a scouting trip that was cut short by a day due to crappy weather and we managed to spot 7 bucks in one afternoon. Persistent rain and thick fog reduced our visibility to 100 yards, so we had to pack up a day early.

The deer are still out there but, like Dana said, you've got to hunt areas that are not yet hit hard by wolves .... AND REMEMBER: The wolves could be eating your deer at their winter range! Just because you don't see wolves in the alpine, don't assume you've found a spot not impacted by wolves!.

And also remember this: This isn't perfectly managed alpine of the Colorado or Utah hills ..... this is BC. We don't have nearly the same numbers of deer and the ones we do don't get nearly as big on average (as I assume they generally get killed before they can reach a decent size). So be prepared to see quite a few small deer, not bachelor groups of ten 180"+ bucks like you saw on Instagram from that one guy in Colorado!

Having said that, here's some beautiful BC alpine and its critters:

July - when you should be scouting

September - When you should be hunting

Last edited by twoSevenO; 07-11-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Work hard and you will be rewarded .... Deer numbers might be down, but they're still not zero

must be getting stoked for sept 1.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post

must be getting stoked for sept 1.

Good luck
    Or Sept 8?!? Lol

Great pics there 270.......

Gorgeous pics; nothing like being at or above tree line. An experience that can only be appreciated by being there. Just need a Pika pic in there. I know of a couple high tight ravines full of them. Quite the song when they’re all going off.
    Last edited by Ride Red; 07-14-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.