Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do in the "off season"?

Re: what to do in the "off season"?

Thanks all for the tips. I had thought about doing scouting trips in preparation for future hunts, and doing a bit of fishing while at it. Maybe practising "glassing".

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    Range time!! Plus reloading fillls a good part of my off season
    Yes I go to the range about once a week already, but have not started getting into reloading.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by fmhung View Post
    Hi I'm sure someone had asked this before, but I guess there is no such thing as a stupid question here. I just finished the CORE and it seems like the majority of game animals, particularly mammals season are in the fall and winter. I wonder what most hunters do during the spring and summer off season months. Fishing? I know there are a few animals to hunt in certain regions in lower mainland during this time, such as a black bear, but for a newbie hunter I would like to start with smaller easier game first, such as snowshoe hares (which I think are over now). Also, I only plan to hunt animals that I will use for food, such as game birds, deer, and rabbits, but not cougars, wolves, coyotes or skunks. I'm based in Vancouver. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I am told Vancouver is a good place to stalk Cougars all year long. but no your more into Rabbits .

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Bears are often easier to hunt than rabbits!
    Yeah I suspect because they are bigger, and rabbits are faster, but the limit on rabbits is more. Not quite ready to butcher a bear just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    I am told Vancouver is a good place to stalk Cougars all year long. but no your more into Rabbits .
    thanks, but I don't plan on hunting anything I don't want to eat. Though technically you can eat cougars.

What is " off season ".

Don’t be intimidated in butchering a big animal it’s easy. Plus if you plan to hunt deer butchering a bear is no more challenging then deer

like others mentioned scout out where to hunt and learn about animals in the area. I am always looking at maps, reading, exploring areas, and always keeping an eye out for possible hunting areas.

pick an area and go for a hike to see what animals and sign you see

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

I like going to the rifle range as much as possible, Jan,Feb and March are good times for the gun shows and outdoor shows and conventions, time to research areas for scouting/hunting throw in some varmint hunting and then it’s time for LEH !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    What is " off season ".
    I am referring to the months that most animals are off limits according to the hunting reg.

Quote Originally Posted by fmhung View Post
    I am referring to the months that most animals are off limits according to the hunting reg.
    I know what you meant just being cheeky. Just because you can't harvest them doesn't mean you can't learn about them, it was already mentioned deer hunting is an all year commitment. There is no off season for me fall is deer hunting, winter is trapping, spring is bear hunting and summer is scouting for deer season. After one year repeat process.