Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do in the "off season"?

Lightbulb what to do in the "off season"?

Hi I'm sure someone had asked this before, but I guess there is no such thing as a stupid question here. I just finished the CORE and it seems like the majority of game animals, particularly mammals season are in the fall and winter. I wonder what most hunters do during the spring and summer off season months. Fishing? I know there are a few animals to hunt in certain regions in lower mainland during this time, such as a black bear, but for a newbie hunter I would like to start with smaller easier game first, such as snowshoe hares (which I think are over now). Also, I only plan to hunt animals that I will use for food, such as game birds, deer, and rabbits, but not cougars, wolves, coyotes or skunks. I'm based in Vancouver. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: what to do in the "off season"?

Range time!! Plus reloading fillls a good part of my off season
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Fishing in the summer, trolling people on HBC in the winter....and the summer.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Boots on the ground.
    Walk and learn.
    Walk more, learn more

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Boots on the ground.
    Walk and learn.
    Walk more, learn more
    good advice
    successfull deer hunting is an all year endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Fishing in the summer, trolling people on HBC in the winter....and the summer.
    wow, this explains a lot....
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    wow, this explains a lot....
    I’m kidding, I don’t try to be annoying. I’m just a left leaning guy on a hunting site.

I do fish 4-5 days a week in the summer though.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Boots on the ground.
    Walk and learn.
    Walk more, learn more
    This is why there really isn't an off season.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Bears are often easier to hunt than rabbits!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Reading the hunting regs cover to cover many times over will help aid you in making the right decisions while in the outdoors. More people need to take up reading. There are tons of hunting related outdoor activities like; staying fit, scouting, target practice, learning distances and your own proficiency, understanding shot placement, learning about buck fever and how to combat it, being prepared for the hunt, firstaid, game prep ect. Hunting isn’t just a couple weeks a year, it’s a year long endeavor keeping all aspects together to be successful. And don’t measure success by taking an animal home. Learning and enjoying the experience is your reward with game meat being the bonus.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.