Thread: Fish Haida Gwaii advice?

Fish Haida Gwaii advice?

Hello outdoors-people! My son-in-law and I want to travel to Haida Gwaii to fish (guided) for springs, coho and halibut. We have checked flights from Victoria where he lives, Vancouver and Williams Lake where I live. We have checked the hugely variant prices of guided opportunities, but we seldom trust what is written on their websites. It appears that to fish all three, July is the best time to go? Do any of you have advice for us that we can trust?
    Al Campsall
    250-392-9695
    al.campsall@gmail.com

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fish Haida Gwaii advice?

I've guided the north face and east side of Haida gwaii for 4 years. Timing really Depends on what u want out of the trip. To target all 3 species you listed you would want to go mid July to mid August. But if your up there hoping for a chance at a Once in a life time hog, I would suggest June 20 to July 20. Halibut fishing will always be better earlier, numbers of springs will be best earlier and the average size increases toward mid July. Coho fishing will be best at the end of the season and they will be biggest late August. The coho just start showing up mid July and are in the 4-6 pound range. By late August the are usually 8-14 pounds, but it can be tough to find a chinook that late in the season

Re: Fish Haida Gwaii advice?

I fished with land and sea services. Mike and Barb were awesome. 250-557-9311. Hammered fish and am booking this summer again with them.