Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

Re: Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

Ive hunted with riverjet before and it was great. 2019 im going to do another trip, either with RJ again, or steamboat MT on horseback, or a fly in trip. although this time solely for sheep. of the three choices what would YOU do and why?
    I've done all 3. Fly-in's can be pricey depending on where you want to go but it's pretty tough to beat the beauty and exhilaration of the flight in/out of sheep country. If I had access to the right aircraft it would be fly-in for me. Jet boating was really fun but we were a very long walk from sheep where we went. I would definitely do again though. Horses are the natural 4x4 but they are a lot of work and give you lots of time to think about your sore legs while you bob along in the saddle, lol. Backpacking is less hassle (less expensive once you have the gear) with yourself as the only limitation. Just walk until tired. Repeat as necessary. There is lots of overlooked sheep country ideal for two feet and a heartbeat.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

I’ve used Steamboat several times for sheep. Have always had a great time and the sheep hunting was always really good. We will be using them again this September for a moose hunt.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to hunt
    That is fair enough. I think you would really like a fly in. Region 6 will most likely be less costly and there are good gos sheep not even a 45 minute flight from tatogga lake.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

I've never flown in, so I can't comment. I've been in on horses and IMO was one of the most enjoyable trips to do. I do have a horse phobia as I took a nasty ride on one at 4 years old (electric fence), but a good pack horse is a complete joy to cruise on. Nothing like sauntering along and being able to take everything in on the journey. I sold my jet boat last fall and am having a new one finished as I write. Boating can't take you where a horse can, but is still an enjoyable trip as long as you have water.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Never hunted sheep, but did an elk hunt with steamboat and had an awesome time. Thinking the horses could get you closer to the sheep mountains. For people that have no horse experience would highly recommend going with a packer. I believe they offer a drop camp for sheep. These guys know there shit.
    This being said, have never done a fly in. One advantage would be able to bring in a comfortable base camp.

I’d highly recommend a trip with Kevin and Riverjet.
    Great guy and professionally run operation.

It sounds like your sticking to the rockies/foothills area? Cassiar is done best via floatplane with almost endless options. For rockies and foothills if choosing one of the above methods to access terrain - horseback gets you most, then boat, then plane. With horseback you can have the outfitter meet you at a location to pick up meat which is great.

Ive only ever done fly in's and hike in's. But one thing that is a bonus for horses and or a jet boat is that you won't get stuck at your lake for any extended amount of time due to bad weather, when a plane can't fly.

I haven't used horses but highly prefer flying. rivers and highways are rat races.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    I’ve used Steamboat several times for sheep. Have always had a great time and the sheep hunting was always really good. We will be using them again this September for a moose hunt.
    Do they have a website? I wasn't able to google anything.
    I'd be curious to know their rates.

Thanks!