Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

I have gone thru all the threads I can about riverjet, steam boat, and DIY fly ins.
    Ive hunted with riverjet before and it was great. 2019 im going to do another trip, either with RJ again, or steamboat MT on horseback, or a fly in trip. although this time solely for sheep. of the three choices what would YOU do and why?

this is an opion based thread, no rights or wrongs although Im sure the veteran sheep guys have good reasons for what they prefer to do.

This will be my first sheep hunt.

Thanks guys and girls

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fly in vs horses vs jetboat

My decision would be based off what range I wanted to hunt and which service got me to that area.

horses and flying can get you deeper into the mountains , but I have seen legal rams next to the highway. I like to go where there are sheep and the least amount of people

If it were me I would be going via horses but I wouldn't be paying steam boat or any other packer. Would want to do it the right way and put in the work. Fly ins are fun as well though. Depends on your time line. Only got a week fly or jet boat in got 10 plus days horseback in. If you go in on horse you will want to get past where people hike to off of fly in lakes or off the rivers so it's gonna burn an extra day on each end of riding.
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Fly in
    Steven

horse trip for the nostalgia, that would be a dream trip to do with my Dad. I think fly in would increase your odds of successful harvest though. Just opinion not based on experience.

Flying in, west of the trench should make for a most enjoyable first sheep hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post
    If it were me I would be going via horses but I wouldn't be paying steam boat or any other packer. Would want to do it the right way and put in the work. Fly ins are fun as well though. Depends on your time line. Only got a week fly or jet boat in got 10 plus days horseback in. If you go in on horse you will want to get past where people hike to off of fly in lakes or off the rivers so it's gonna burn an extra day on each end of riding.
    Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to hunt

Upon moving to a smaller community than the 1milly+ areas I had been in for some time prior, I felt for walking out my door and continuing to walk until I arrived at an appropriate area to Hunt and starting doing this to get in shape. Eventually, I was bringing back Small Game and plenty Birds. So, I got a Whitetail that way, too. Now I love the non-motorized areas and walking in. So the closest to me and because it involves Horses, I'll go ahead and sign on to vote for Horses in this instance.

All sound phenomenal though - What an opportunity to even consider such great Hunts!

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    Sounds like a good trip. I don't own horses so would have to hire some and I don't know enough to properly care for them while still trying to hunt
    The horse packers will take you to where you want to go, within the area they have available to them. They will take care of the stock and camp, leaving the hunting to you, but likely welcome any offers of help so you can get some hand-on experience too. The whole horseback adventure is more complex than a boots and brawn hunt, with pros and cons in regards to getting to sheep.
    Sticking to the KISS idea, shouldering a backpack and hunting from a drop-off by boat or plane puts all the limitations on you and what you are capable of physically and mentally.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole