Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog training help

Dog training help

Hey just hoping to get some advice on how to help get our dog get better trained. We have a yellow lab who will be two in August. Overall he is a good dog when he is at home or at my workplace and we did the puppy training when he was younger and all that stuff. But the problem now is he is getting worse at reacting towards other people he doesn't know and more so other dogs. I cant say its mean aggression but he scares people the way he barks and wants to charge them. Its to the point I can no longer take him on walks in busy areas since he just goes nuts when he sees people or dogs. I have heard many times labs are very wild and crazy until 3-5 years old but not sure how to stop this!! My wife is starting to resent him and wont bring kids around scared he may get mean or aggressive. Anyone have a trainer they have uses in the Langley area who is good with this kind of stuff or any advise on if this is normal and what to do? He has never bit or growled in anger and tail is wagging when hes acting like hes going to attack someone but his hair stands up like crazy. Thanks for any help! our first dog and its starting to be a major issue.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog training help

I’m training a 5 month old lab, I have been using YouTube. I really enjoy ceaser , he gets into the psychology of dogs and dumbs it down so normal people can understand. 9/10 it’s the handler/owners energy that triggers these types of behaviours. Check a few videos out there’s lots with dogs that have similar behaviour and he has them “fixed” almost instantly.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Question, is he 'intact' or neutered?
    How do you try to control him...with a simple leash and collar, a harness and leash?
    When you go for walks, do you have him 'heel' correctly without holding him in place,
    or does he go out front and pull against his leash? If he's pulling or charging out despite
    your commands and attempts to keep him close, try using a nose muzzle that's firmly attached
    to his head. Have your leash either directly attached to it, or have the leash run through
    a ring on his collar. Most dogs don't like it restraining them so will behave. If he's not paying
    attention to you and charging out toward people and dogs, or even straining against his leash
    despite you telling him 'no', it seems to me that he thinks he's the 'alpha' in your relationship
    and the boss which is never good. I don't advocate using violence, but you must establish dominance
    and be the alpha, so read up on how to do that and you should see positive results relatively soon.

It has absolutely nothing to do with him being intact nor should you establish the dominance, you're his Alpha by definition (unless you're not in fact by using a violence you'll totally ruin your relationship, he will start to afraid you, but in your absence will behave badly again. The comment about your energy is about right, 99% of all dogs issues related to owner/handler. If I can guess without seeing your dog, he wasn't socialized properly when he was young, and now you get what's called "fear aggression", i.e. he's trying to charge at anything that he either doesn't know or doesn't feel comfortable enough. And keeping him away from the other people and dogs will actually make the matter worse. You'll need a good trainer, who won't try to "establish the dominance", but rather boost his confidence level up and switch his mentality from seeing other creatures as threats to accepting the world as is. It's a long journey, but definitely doable.

There is a reality. Temperament. Kinda like expecting a psychopath to behave because you follow certain guidelines. Dogs are individuals. Some are difficult some are impossible most are better then mother Teresa. Current world view climate is appt to produce more difficult rather then easier dogs. I guess what I am saying is carefull about the pop dog training it does not answer all issues.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I agree with big lew on establishing dominance. What I hav found sometimes works is to pick the dog up! Right off the ground and hang on despite his or her protest. It is non violent the dog can't gain control of the situation and once you have him there for a minute he will calm down and relize his situation. You are the boss! Set him back on the ground and have him heal on your left as you make some quick 90* turns making sure you have good leash control so the pup knows that you are in charge. I have found this to work well with some dogs and amazing with others. The one I have now is on the feisty side this little trick has really made her one of the best dogs I have owned.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    I agree with big lew on establishing dominance. What I hav found sometimes works is to pick the dog up! Right off the ground and hang on despite his or her protest. It is non violent the dog can't gain control of the situation and once you have him there for a minute he will calm down and relize his situation. You are the boss! Set him back on the ground and have him heal on your left as you make some quick 90* turns making sure you have good leash control so the pup knows that you are in charge. I have found this to work well with some dogs and amazing with others. The one I have now is on the feisty side this little trick has really made her one of the best dogs I have owned.
    Thank you! That's what I was trying to say. In no way was I, or do I support using force to assert dominance. There are so many
    other ways. Professional Agility training friends of mine either do as "WOS" suggests, or they simply pin them to the ground by
    laying on them just enough that they can't get free. Usually only takes a minute or two and is very effective. If you notice, a dog
    wanting to show dominance over another dog will either mount it or pin it to the ground so it can't get away.

It would appear that the dog see's himself as the alpha. That needs to change or your problem will get worse. Youtube is your friend. Start with small things like don't let him go thru a door first.You and your family go first always. He needs to be taught he is not in charge. Be the alpha or loose.

I would suggest contacting TNT Training Center in Langley.

As already well stated, it sounds like your dog needs to be taught and shown who the alpha is. Nothing against you or you family, but from your post it seems like he is looking to protect his "pack".

It can be a lot of work, but it's worth it!

I know this can be a touchy subject with people and not everyone agrees with me but don't let the dog sleep in your bed if that is happening. It will almost always let the dog think he or she is the king of the castle.