Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Call Mouth Diaphragm

Best Elk Call Mouth Diaphragm

Which is the "best" or "easiest" mouth diaphragm available??
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Best Elk Call Mouth Diaphragm

http://www.hunterspec.com/product/el...aphragm-4-pack

I prefer the 2.5 myself, if u can find them.
    The plastic plate on top makes positioning in the mouth easier.
    Like them way more then the Primos brand that look similar.

easiest. Single layer reeds. Try to find one with a dome or pallet plate on the top
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I found the primos blue with the dome very easy to make the whole range of sounds. But have gone to the Rocky Mountain elk101 single reed now. It's a little soft for me but the range of calls is great

Agreed. Double reed is very hard to learn with. Single reed is better. Once you get the hang of the single i find better tones with the double. Still flub it from time to time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    http://www.hunterspec.com/product/el...aphragm-4-pack

I prefer the 2.5 myself, if u can find them.
    The plastic plate on top makes positioning in the mouth easier.
    Like them way more then the Primos brand that look similar.
    Ive got a set of 4 Wayne Carlton's as well. I like the triple the most for big bull bugles. Definitely sounds deep and throaty. It's not the easiest to use, though. I use the single for cow calls. Recently, I've been practising with the double for both bull bugles and cow calls as an all in one.
    I haven't used the 2.5 much. I was wondering why you favoured it over the others?

Big fan of the Rocky Mountain game calls, personally use the "Elk101 Allstar" for cow calls and small bugles.

Find I'm able to get a bigger bugle out of the "The closer" double reed. Also just throwing it out there, use them with the Bully Bull Extreme Tube and love it.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Ive got a set of 4 Wayne Carlton's as well. I like the triple the most for big bull bugles. Definitely sounds deep and throaty. It's not the easiest to use, though. I use the single for cow calls. Recently, I've been practising with the double for both bull bugles and cow calls as an all in one.
    I haven't used the 2.5 much. I was wondering why you favoured it over the others?
    I guess I have bugled for so long now with mouth diaphragms, since probably '83, that I find the single reed a little too "soft" for me, and I tend to over blow on it.
    I also find I cant get all the "octaves range" out of the single diapragms.
    And the triples do make one sound big, and that's not what any hunter wants to sound like.
    But, I find the 2.5 has the best combination, you can hit all the "notes", you can make it raspy if you want, you can just
    hit a "high whistle", or growl.
    IT just allows me the greatest "flexibility" in one mouthpiece, to sound like whatever sized bull I want.
    Chuckling works with it as well, something I find I need to be able to do, and I do it best with a multi layered reed over a single reed.
    The Wayne Carltons or Carlton Calls, (which once were the Hunter Specialties) make solid mouth pieces, and last me longer then any other.
    I have not tried Buglin Bull mouth reeds as of yet, but I do like their Elk Tube Call/s.
    I actually carry one of the their tubes for "Long Range Calling" when I am out there, and use the mouthpiece it came with.
    But, once I get a bull to respond, it's the 2.5 (or 2) that I go with, and always try to sound not as deep as him, nor as low as him at first.
    And then, you just try to match up his sounds...imitate his calls right back at him, or whichever sounds seems to get the most out of him in responses.
    So, the 2.5 is just the one reed I like to have more then any other.
    And yes, I still also use a single for cow calls. and have it with me as well.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate that.
    So, what you are saying is that the triple makes you sound too big of a bull and might intimidate the bull you are trying to call? Interesting! I think I'll dig out my 2.5 and start practising with it.

I feel in some situations when you're in tight to a bull with a hot cow or two, if you don't sound like a worthy threat to the bull, you won't get him to come in. I don't believe you can overpower a bull with your bugle, although using the wrong sounds will shut him up. In early season, if a bull bugles on his own with a long drawn out, high pitched bugle, and you hammer back with a growly dominant bugle with hard grunts on the end, you will have very limited success
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004