Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best Elk Call Mouth Diaphragm

Re: Best Elk Call Mouth Diaphragm

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post

My go to Elk calls. Larry D Jones reed bugle ,old school copper flex bugle and my secret never fail Herter's # 351 Elk Master Call .
    I still have that Larry D Jones call and I still use it. The man is a Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    rummaging around in my buddy's Dad's gear room last week looking for something, I came across one of those fluting thin "bugles" - Blew on it and had a chuckle, what a piece of junk
    Maybe a piece of junk , but maybe just try it this season you just might be surprised how good it works .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I still have that Larry D Jones call and I still use it. The man is a Legend!
    Yes and his cow call is a bull magnet too .....
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Larry Jones sure loved elk hunting...interesting guy, and spoke with him a few times.
    I think I still have a vhs of him and wayne carlton, on a hunt, which is what I watched first, and after that, started my
    elk hunting endeavor, which bagged me a 6pt on my 2nd season in.
    I should try to find some of those rubber pieces for that carlton call (looks a lot like the primos blue rubber caps), as that
    call worked great back in the day.
    And those wooden flutes, don't kid yourself, they do work.
    All that being said though, I still prefer the mouth diaphragm now.
    And, it looks like many have suggested the ones with that plastic dome insert built into them.
    Whether it be Carlton, Buglin Bulls or other, they do seem to work the best, and easiest, as they sit in your mouth at
    just the right position.
    Also, I think for some it's a bit comforting, that they may not swallow the thing, like just the plain jane diaphragms of the past.
    So, the OP asked whats the easiest...any with the plastic dome, and probably a single or double layer to get you started.
    Just don't start practicing on your 1st day of the hunt....IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Just don't start practicing on your 1st day of the hunt....IMO.
    Haha! That's some sound advice (pun intended)! I practice a fair bit and I'm still nervous what might come out on my first call.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Haha! That's some sound advice (pun intended)! I practice a fair bit and I'm still nervous what might come out on my first call.
    Don't worry about being perfect....really!
    My dad quite often sounds like a young bull elephant....just awful at times to be honest.
    I am sure he has scared off some elk in the area, but, he has also managed to bring in bulls as well, regardless of the sounds he
    makes.
    Actually, sometimes he manages to locate bulls more often then I do?
    But, I probably bring them in more times then not compared to him.
    In the end, it's a group effort, and time well spent and totally enjoyed amongst ourselves.
    Don't forget to take a friend if you can, it's a great way to spend the day or week.

Reviving a dead thread: how do you guys with the diaphragm calls not gag on them? I bought one of the primos elk calls and I just gagging as soon as it’s in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Reviving a dead thread: how do you guys with the diaphragm calls not gag on them? I bought one of the primos elk calls and I just gagging as soon as it’s in my mouth.
    I found that too initially, but after a short while I no longer had that impulse. I'm now practicing nearly every day, and it's feeling natural.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

better not use them if they make you gag
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    i trimmed my first few down to fit better that helped me until i got comfortable with it. Some of the primos ones are pretty small already though. does it have the dome?