Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Re: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...
    good choice. I don't go out without a good spraydown with Bronco Equine fly spray for me and the dog
    and no......neither of us drink it
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Caddis, found good info on freezing ticks on an Aus site where they have problems with softer paralysis ticks and tweezing
    Even up here, if tweezed incorrectly, toxins can be sent into the wound
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I use perithium as well in a bottle and spray on my shoes, pants etc and get a larger bottle and spray around the cabin too! The freezing thing sounds easy actually, it's that over the counter wart stuff, I remember my daughter had a wart on her foot, easy to use, about 30 bucks or so.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I've heard that tea tree oil will deter ticks as well, I'll put some on my hands and rub it on the outside of my boots and along the bottom of my pants, and hat before I head out. This thread spurred some paranoia as I was out ATVing on Sunday and had to straddle a lot of trees for the winch.

I still haven't heard a story that topped my brothers, he was out hunting and decided to nap under a tree mid-day, he woke up and pulled about 80 ticks off of himself. Don't sleep on their nests!

This thread creeps me out. And makes me itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Caddis, found good info on freezing ticks on an Aus site where they have problems with softer paralysis ticks and tweezing
    Even up here, if tweezed incorrectly, toxins can be sent into the wound
    I just wonder if the shock of freezing might cause it to regurgitate. I think it would have to be instant (which it looked to be from the video I saw on netflix) I checked at the pharmacy and those wart freezing gadgets are around $30 and they last for (I think it was 7 or 9) "treatments" and each "treatment" involves spraying it 3 times. On the netflix show, the tick was engorged and they did one spray... not only did it freeze the tick, but the tick popped out and went flying around inside the nozzle with the pressure from the gas. It was quite impressive... if this method is reasonably safe, it would be worth every penny.... you could remove 20-30 ticks with one wart freezing gadget.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Hey Russ. Use permethrin cautiously and sparingly. It is a synthetic pyrethroid pesticide. Pyrethrins are one of the safest types of pesticides as our liver can break it down but it is a carcinogen. Use caution if thinking about applying it regularly or long term.
    Everything is a carcinogen these days, especially to commifornia... Anyways, supposedly it isn't easily absorbed by the skin and our body does get rid of it easily, so having it on your clothes in low concentrations (.5% to 1%) and not directly on your skin, I don't imagine will be a huge risk. I guess at the end of the day whats worse and a which has a higher chance, Lymes or Cancer (specifically from the permethrin use)?

FYI, most military, including Canadian and US forces use this to treat all their overseas clothing (which they wear basically 365 days a year) and it is recommended by both the Canadian CDC and travel advisories when traveling outside of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    This thread creeps me out. And makes me itchy.
    Me too, never heard of ticks on a human up here in region 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    ---------Ticks whoa, you found em, the deer ticks, so lots a deer down low this winter in Kammy region -Ticks are like spiders, and bed bugs family - bite suck suck
    -- good thread
    ----------------------keep up the great news information, on the local scenes, all around B.C. -- we are up to date on HBC folks -- thanks to lovemywinnychester --
    -- Ticks, can paralyze you, when they suck, into, your skin, if they have trick a nosis-- you can't move, take it out and you can -- they crawl all over you, check neck
    WARNING: if tick is in you, thru your skin, the head part, don't pull out, with tweezers, use a match, and burn it's butt, and it backs out. Tweezers pulls it's body off
    Butt the head is under your skin and festering like Festus on Gun Smoke lol .... light match, blow out, touch match on tick's ass. Backs out. Check your butt too.
    Jel -- My hunting buddies and I got ticks, some dug in -- eight legs from the spider family, -- Bed Bugs have eight legs also ---- hard to get rid of and see
    Not really, No, ummm HELL NO, you just said that but again no, and yet another no. Wow 'looky, really outdoing yourself these days.
    Last edited by J_06; 03-26-2018 at 02:51 PM.