Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Re: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    This thread creeps me out. And makes me itchy.
    Me too. I`ve lived here for 18 years, fish ,hunt, shed and never had a tick. Not one. Maybe they don`t like how I smell?
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    A good practice is to put your clothes straight into a garbage bag upon your return.
    Do the same with your pack.

Nothing pisses off your better half more than bringing ticks into the house.
    Or having to dig one off her back !!!!!!!!
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    Headed up toLoon Lake this Wednesday so keep an eye out so to speak
    Was up there a week ago and my son and father in-law both got ticks on them the first day we were there. It was cold and wet with snow on the ground still. After the snow melted off the ground we didn't see any more.

Got my first offical tick bite the other weekend had to dig it out in the feild got me a nasty infection/scar but stuff happends. Suprised Ive made it this long and always caught them but this bugger was 3/4 of the way into my tricep by the time I saw it how do other people usally deal with them in the feild ..aside from carrying tweazers? Because burning pulling/ digging out w a knife and cotarizing is clearly not the best method.

Have taken a bucketful of them off myself, numerous dogs, and a few girlfriends ......
    Small head tweezers are ideal, but fingers work good too .... better if the tick isn't too swelled up yet.
    For some unknown reason, some ticks will leave a 'crater' like scar .... while others leave a barely noticeable mark.
    Grab them close to the skin and pull straight out. Don't panic !
    Have a Mini Schnauzer ....... a true 'tick magnet'

2 ticks today. But also a fresh mule shed...I'll take those numbers any day.

No ticks but no sheds either today...

This weekend was the first time I have been out looking for bears and have not picked up a tick (let alone a dozen) ... I was really careful, though being careful in the past, I still busted lots trying to climb up my pants. Maybe they are going to go easy on me this season.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...
    what brand of permethrin do you use?

After extensive research, the best products available are not legal in Canada.

I took a new hunter out on Saturday in the fraser valley and she got a tick on her stomach. Embedded itself before she felt it. She was quite worried/upset about it at the time. Those buggers are out in full force for sure. I didn't have any tweezers or anything to remove it with on me at the time, but I had a disinfectant bleach wipe and it backed right out when I grabbed it with that.