Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Re: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Ticks are an extremely tough and hardy critter. In 1966-67 I walked over on the trail to the waterfall seen
    south of hwy 99 and east of Pavilion Lake very early in the year. The whole waterfall was frozen, and there
    was a large fan of ice covering at least an acre, probably more, around the base and throughout the trees
    and bush. I had no real previous experience with ticks at that time so was utterly amazed to see them actively
    crawling all over the ice. There had to be hundreds of them. As soon as we got back to the truck we all stripped
    down completely as well as thoroughly checking our clothes. We found a few on the outside of our pant legs
    but that was it so we were very lucky.

Camo pants are not ideal, that's for sure. I pick many ticks off as they climb up my legs. Nor is a camo pack. I might have to give in and wear some tan pants out there. Get a canvas rucksack, a Tilley hat too. I'll look like a German tourist but the ticks will be easier to spot.

A good tick is a dead tick

Strip down when you get home look in the mirror far ticks or have someone look at the back of you,,here in the EK I have had 6 of them on me so far..

I take two small mirrors about 5 inches wide in my pack when I am by myself I hang one on a tree snag and with the other I can see if there is any ticks on my back I check with the mirror every couple hours and if I see one on my back I use a branch stick to brush it off.

One thing that helps big time is pull your socks up over your pants and tuck your shirt into your pants doing this the ticks will only crawl up on to your neck and head many of time I feel them crawling on my neck and pull them off..

I save my head to the skull no hair during shed season this helps big time you can feel over your head and deel any ticks that are on your head with long hair you can't feel a tick till its drilled into you..

I also take (Rub-A535) with me and I rub this on the back of my neck a few times when out shed hunting this helps somewhat..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 03-20-2018 at 04:00 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...

---------Ticks whoa, you found em, the deer ticks, so lots a deer down low this winter in Kammy region - Ticks are like spiders, and bed bugs family - bite suck suck
    -- good thread
    ----------------------keep up the great news information, on the local scenes, all around B.C. -- we are up to date on HBC folks -- thanks to lovemywinnychester --
    -- Ticks, can paralyze you, when they suck, into, your skin, if they have trick a nosis -- you can't move, take it out and you can -- they crawl all over you, check neck
    WARNING: if tick is in you, thru your skin, the head part, don't pull out, with tweezers, use a match, and burn it's butt, and it backs out. Tweezers pulls it's body off
    Butt the head is under your skin and festering like Festus on Gun Smoke lol .... light match, blow out, touch match on tick's ass. Backs out. Check your butt too.
    Jel -- My hunting buddies and I got ticks, some dug in -- eight legs from the spider family, -- Bed Bugs have eight legs also ---- hard to get rid of and see
    Last edited by Jelvis; 03-20-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: TICKS SUCK - hide on your body and underwear -- then chew on you until you can't move

Don't burn it's bum Jelly you can catch the lyme lol ... best to extract them and then revenge kill with fire!!

Wayne has great tips. Shave head bald, tuck socks into pants. Never tried a535 but will give that a go!

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Treat all my hiking/hunting clothes with permethrin, has no affect on humans, haven't found one on me in years...
    Hey Russ. Use permethrin cautiously and sparingly. It is a synthetic pyrethroid pesticide. Pyrethrins are one of the safest types of pesticides as our liver can break it down but it is a carcinogen. Use caution if thinking about applying it regularly or long term.

Time for my annual haircut!