Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Went for an hour hike tonight just outside Kamloops and pulled four ticks of me. Three while out there and one in my shirt at home. I wasn't really surprised except for the fact that I was in boot deep snow most of the time and made an effort to stay away from bush and trees. Can't get away from them I guess. Time to get in the habit of undressing at the truck again and grooming like a monkey with your hiking buddies!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shed hike, 4 ticks. 0 sheds. Ticks are out and hungry.

Holy CRAP ! Already ? The Wife and i were just chatting about tick med for the pooch and i said in a couple of weeks - GUESS not ! We will do it in the next couple days - thanks for posting up !

Cheers RJ

Great heads up reminder.thank you..
    Lol you sure you got them all...? Lol
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
    Went for an hour hike tonight just outside Kamloops and pulled four ticks of me. Three while out there and one in my shirt at home. I wasn't really surprised except for the fact that I was in boot deep snow most of the time and made an effort to stay away from bush and trees. Can't get away from them I guess. Time to get in the habit of undressing at the truck again and grooming like a monkey with your hiking buddies!!
    Same thing for me early last year. I was super careful not to brush up against anything... 10 minute walk, standing in 2 feet of snow out in the open and caddisgirl was pulling a huge adult female deer tick out of my love handle... not sure what it is but they love my sexy love handles... and neck... and legs. In a few weeks from now, I will be picking them off every few minutes. I spend more time looking at my pants/shoes/socks than I do looking for bears. Record is 14 in a half hour... 50/day not uncommon for me. My wife bought me white coveralls which I will probably be sporting instead of camo this season. The odd tick here and there generally isn't a big deal especially if you extract them properly within 24 hours, but once you get into dozens daily I think it's a health hazard... numbers game. The little black male deer ticks are the worst... I have busted them working their way through the threading in my socks... hard to see too until the eyes are trained for it.

You know that when you take your morning #2 and wipe and find multiple parts from multiple ticks on the TP you have a problem. There are places you can't even ask your wife to check let alone hunting pals
    Last edited by caddisguy; 03-19-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Just to share some heeby-jeebies... like I said they love my love handles. I still have a huge welt from this thing that itches like crazy... been over 6 months!

I started collecting them... sort of like an ant farm... nifty thing I observed is that the ticks actually kill each other... had some males engorge themselves in the females and not in a hanky panky kind of way

Last edited by caddisguy; 03-19-2018 at 09:19 PM.

I guess sometimes they hitch a ride home with me... I find them crawling up the walls... I think this one is a dog tick?

and on the bathroom counter

Last edited by caddisguy; 03-19-2018 at 09:19 PM.

Pretty big one I pulled out from my arm... was worth a photo

Man your a tick magnet

In Region 2 of all places...

I was watching a NetFlix show... "72 dangerous animals in central america" or something. The doctors on there were showing a way to remove ticks using over-the-counter wart/skin-tag remover.

It showed they press it down on the tick and the tick freezes instantly and falls right out. I did a google search and found a number of doctors recommending this. I wonder if it's safe?

Plucking them out by hand or gently with tweezers works good most of the time, but I have had some really stuck and leave sores that last a long time (sometimes forever?) ... really wondering about the freezing method and if it's actually safe from a lyme transfer perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Man your a tick magnet
    That's actually really funny..
    Cheers
    Steven