Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Re: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Quote Originally Posted by HunterChef View Post
    I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
    I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/ information

Hunterchef
    PM your number, I can give a little insight, hunted that area last year

Too many people searching for info.
    What happened to the days where a hunter went to an area on instincts
    shouldnt need to ask for advice to have hunting success. Success is the wisdom gained by by fulfilling an adventure.
    Not trying for the fast track info.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    shouldnt need to ask for advice to have hunting success. Success is the wisdom gained by by fulfilling an adventure.
    the way of the internet my friend. I dont see a problem in this scenario, not like hes asking for a place to go shoot a sheep, its a specific draw and hes asking about others experiences in the area, not a drainage to find a ram

I used the same resources last year when I had the draw. Just remember that not all the information is valid and BS is BS whether spoken online or in person. There were no rams in some spots that I was told to go but there were rams in spots no one had mentioned. Certainly is big country.

??????

You telling me hunters in the past never did any research? Never talked to friends or people working in the area? Never researched harvest data?

Man, especially for a draw area like this I think it is good to gather as much info as possible. It's not like you can spend years learning an area. You got one season to make it work.

Great first post.

The internet if improperly used will destroy the way of life many of us have come to love.
    My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme. But I’ve seen hunting and the way we are commonly viewed by
    non hunters take a serious change for the worst.
    My point is. There is much satisfaction and pride in putting X’s on a topo map by
    investing blood, sweat and tears than by randomly seeking advice on a hunting forum. Taking more than one trip to have a successful harvest makes us better.

I wrote an article that was published in the February 2000 edition of Field and Stream about three hunters from BC who found a frozen body in the ice in the Tat on a sheep hunt. Turns out he'd been there about 550 years. I interviewed one of the hunters. His name was Bill. His partners were Mike and Warren. They may even be on here.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterChef View Post
    I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
    I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/ information

Hunterchef
    Last edited by MichelD; 03-20-2018 at 04:01 PM.

The internet if improperly used will destroy the way of life many of us have come to love.
    My opinion means nothing in the grand scheme. But I’ve seen hunting and the way we are commonly viewed by
    My point is. There is much satisfaction and pride in putting X’s on a topo map by
    investing blood, sweat and tears than by randomly seeking advice on a hunting forum. Taking more than one trip to have a successful harvest makes us better.

The only specific question from the OP was about timing of the hunt. Not looking for X's, no lack of a plan on his part, just looking for some general insight from hunters who have had this draw before. This LEH tag was 17.5:1 odds last year. Not too likely you are getting this draw multiple times in a close enough time span...
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

This is a remote draw with relatively low odds of getting it. Not like he can swing by to scout, most cases people are happy to help with draws like this. It's obvious he is doing his homework....get off your high horse. To the OP, ignore this clown.

Good luck on your hunt, look forward to the story.
    KCCO

Love hearing from hunters who wear out more smart phones than hiking boots