Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
    I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/ information

Hunterchef

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

sounds like you have a firm grasp on what you need to do. I dont have any inside info to share with you but I will wish you luck and ask that you take lots of pics. congratulations. also I reccommend that you pm SRUPP on here...im sure he will chime in on your thread anyway.

cheers

Hmmm great draw..thanks Ben
    Pm with ph number I will call.
    Steven

first time applying for an leh and you draw that tag, very jealous! best of luck on your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterChef View Post
    I lucked out and pulled a sheep tag for the Tatshenshini 6-29 and am looking from a bit of wisdom from the experienced members of the HuntingBC community. Last fall was my rookie season and this was my first LEH I've applied for so feeling very blessed. New to hunting but not to the outdoors. I've been mountaineering/fishing/camping my whole life (currently 42). I'm a firm believer in preparation, and have spent the last few weeks researching the area, dall sheep in general and reading every scrap of information available on this sites past threads. Have also read all government counts/studies of BC thinhorns. Laminated topo map is in the mail.

My current plan is to fly into Whitehorse, rent a truck, drive down and start hiking. 2 week hunt total. Most likely going solo.
    I'm looking for any inside information from members who have previously gone on this hunt. Specifically when is the best time to go. From past threads it sounds like the open date can get a bit crowded and I"m not interested in going all that way to hunt in a crowd. I've already nailed down how to access the different drainages most likely to hold sheep and have a rough hunt plan in place. Looking to fill in the details that are going to help me connect on a sheep. PM's are great.

I'll be documenting the whole process of how I'm preparing for this hunt, (gear, fitness program, shooting practice etc) in the hope that it will assist other new hunters looking to get into chasing sheep.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/ information

Hunterchef
    I look forward to following your adventure. Been trying to pull that tag for a couple years without any luck.

Lots of views, not too many replies. lol - good luck on your hunt
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

[QUOTE=todbartell;1957188]Dall Sheep in BC is a cake walk if you can draw the tag

Like Bartell says, it’s a cake walk

Don't have any experience with this hunt, but best of luck to you and be sure to share some pics

Lucky SOB, been trying for that draw for over a decade.

I wish I had some info for you. I had that tag a few years ago, but a medical situation the day before I was supposed to leave kept me from going.