Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Re: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Boot this thread back up. How did the lucky tag holders do in 2018.
    This the season to start thinking about it,,,,,
    over 2 dozen permits last year, likely less than 30% participation
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

So did this hunt happen?

bumping this up because i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get this draw when LEH closes tonight.

i don't want honey holes, but i do want coordinates of book rams and easy access in instructions please. i don't want to walk too far. definitely don't want to get wet either, so please consider what the weather will be when you send me information.

humour aside, i wonder if this hunt ever happened. I think the OP is still on here. A story would be great, even (especially?) if no critters got shot in the making of the story.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

The last 2 years have seen an incredible uptick in pressure in the area..especially from Stanley creek.Kelsell lake area..both native hunters and resident hunters.
    last 2 years know of 3 rams harvested..between 6.28 6.29..a couple of close bear encounters and a sheep hunt that had more twists and turns than 33 feet of intestine.
    This hunt one thinks if not east in the rock pits should be easy ? Like how hard is it to find a 275 pound pure white animal with lemon colored horns amid green grass blue skies..lol
    Of all hunts. .guys who shot sheep there decades ago...once disturbed they pull a Houdini...so most attempt to be in before opening day only to find a group of guys at the parking lot..
    However each year has differences....
    3 hunters ago I chatted with Chris...on my thoughts for 629.. he seperated from the group headed towards G Valley..opening Chris and his brother shot a unique ram..13 year old ram first day ..opening morning..couple years earlier two rams harvested nearby.
    Same deal with a drainage in 6 28 but THERE I do have some idea why it holds dall sheep..lo
    Would still like some of the hunters to post their rams here..ESPECIALLY last years hunter...but most..all insist not.
    Still in spite of the Grizzly concentrations..non agressive for the most part..still beautiful and stunning hunting..Kelsell for moose can be productive too.
    Cheers
    Steven

I’m curious to hear as well. A good friend pulled a 11 year old 39” from 6-29 last season, on a solo hike in mission. Not an easy hunt from what I hear.

I did go and will definitely go back. 14 days solo in some incredible country. 12 rams located with none of them making full curl. Could not turn up any of the big boys. Also saw some giant moose (do they count as Alaska / Yukon sub-species), grizz and a nice billie goat who ended up coming for a back pack ride home with me. I've given up trying to post pics on this site so you'll have to trust me on the goat. PM me if you pull this tag and I would be happy to pass on what I learnt on my hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterChef View Post
    I did go and will definitely go back. 14 days solo in some incredible country. 12 rams located with none of them making full curl. Could not turn up any of the big boys. Also saw some giant moose (do they count as Alaska / Yukon sub-species), grizz and a nice billie goat who ended up coming for a back pack ride home with me. I've given up trying to post pics on this site so you'll have to trust me on the goat. PM me if you pull this tag and I would be happy to pass on what I learnt on my hunt.
    My friend was up there in 2019 with his daughter. Their trip sounds pretty much like yours. If you don't mind me asking, what time of year did you go. They were up there the middle of August just before the big snow dump.

First 2 weeks of August

I don't know much about the area but I was looking at the maps and Google earth (dreaming of a draw one of these days) why do you say afloat plane can't get you in there?