Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

Re: Tatshenshini dall sheep hunt 2018

If you are going solo definitely leave a detailed map of the area you plan to hunt and give it to a spouse or friend.
    And best of luck to you.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Just remember that if you are successful, you have to get a CI done and horns pinned before you can take the ram out of province (if you re flying), or maybe you have to pre-arrange an export permit? There is a CI contractor in Atlin that could do it for you, but you have to plan for that drive. I know a guy who a few years back did the same plan as you (fly/rent/drive) and he got the export permit in anticipation just in case he couldn't get the CI done in BC before his flight home. Maybe check with the ministry or permit people...

Being positive and kind to others will always pay back dividends in your own life, so thank you to everyone who has been supportive with their comments and generous with their advice (especially Steven). Given the current cultural and political climate hunters need to stick together and support one another more than ever.

There's so much planning that goes into a remote hunt like this and things are shaping up nicely. Can hardly wait!

Thanks again,

Hunterchef

[QUOTE=monasheemountainman;1993807]
    Quote Originally Posted by 604redneck View Post

Are you bored up north cuz you have no job buddy lol come on hbc and look for fights lol go to work you have a family to support ��
    Lol you got me. Except I have an excellent job at the local Timmy ho's
    Originally Posted by olympia
    if your worried bout ticks than you aint never been bit by a snake while pissing...try gettin your hunting partner to suck the poison out

Hmmm it really is a science to pack proper gear for a pack in sheep hunt..proper gear makes or breaks these efforts..
    Boots well broken in..optics will save 100 kms over the course of 2 week hunt..tent..mountain hardware etc..hiking poles..headlamps..gold bond. .moleskin..pack enough food..depleted energy levels due to inadequate energy intake..range finder..scale is difficult to determine in mountains..good accurate medium rifle for shots on 300 pound animal out to 400 yards.
    On this hunt..when..is as important as where...for reasons that may surprise you.
    Really important on leaving your hike plan...as well as when you are overdue..in reach. .or SPOT.
    Or sat phone..it must be reliable..
    Important..this area has a incredible ..unbelievable concentration of grizzly bears..not so bad in sheep areas early..but they are there..be cautious..
    Have fun..most fun you can have..with your clothes on..lol
    Steven

[QUOTE=604redneck;1993920]
    Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post

Lol you got me. Except I have an excellent job at the local Timmy ho's
    Haha love you

Quote Originally Posted by Hidehanger View Post
    Just remember that if you are successful, you have to get a CI done and horns pinned before you can take the ram out of province (if you re flying), or maybe you have to pre-arrange an export permit? There is a CI contractor in Atlin that could do it for you, but you have to plan for that drive. I know a guy who a few years back did the same plan as you (fly/rent/drive) and he got the export permit in anticipation just in case he couldn't get the CI done in BC before his flight home. Maybe check with the ministry or permit people...

you don't need an export permit, you are traveling from bc to bc, went through this last year, talk to jeff piewick out of atlin, he's the conservation officer for 6-29 if you have questions, you also have so many days to get the inspection done if you harvest 1.

pack baby wipes, they work awsome

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    Wow there is a jem" yes yes yes..
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    Love my baby wipes.