Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavy snow year = good bear hunting

Re: Heavy snow year = good bear hunting

Saw an article today that said they are out in the Merritt area.
    Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Well hopefully everbody gets into them thick. Not sure I will take a spring bear, I find the meat superior in the fall

I have not experienced good bear numbers post long winters in the past. Actually have seen the opposite with dramatic drops in sightings. Den death is quite common on these long winters, particularly if they went into the winter on a poor feed like we have in a drought year.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    I asked a CO why I was not seeing many bears (last summer at a fish check). He said that bears in the area (Kamloops) were not use to the long winter we had and that he thinks a bunch died in den. He gave some example of poor condition bears that he ( and other hunters) had run into.

Now I would think this winter was just as long and tough on bears as the 2016/17 winter?

Any guesses on how they did over this winter this year?
    I would say longer and harder, and with the poor berry crop we had last year, bear season my not be that productive....the good news is, that will be good for fawn survival...

Quote Originally Posted by huntinnewbie View Post
    Saw an article today that said they are out in the Merritt area.
    Care to share the link?

Thanks

Last year, the snow definately stuck around longer in the higher elevations and the berries were started/finished a week off the average on both ends of the season, coupled with the hot summer creating a smaller yield. I didn't see many bears, but where i did, I often saw more than one, in areas that did have berries. The wet Junes hinder early growth, and overly hot July and August shirivel berries, killing the fall crop.

Heard today a guy at work fell through the rotten snow this last week and into a den, jumping the bear out of it. Southern interior.

Hmmmm think like a black bear..= food..green..low elevation this year..think horsefly lake..all around the lake..big area . same for Quesnel Lake. .I'm actually changing my bear hunting location this year to Horsefly Lake area..more open areas that grow grass.may check in @ lemon lake for that BIG red bruin..however having sold my quad..gonna be some changes..lol..
    Most snow in 20 years..eliminate high mountain areas. .ie Cunningham pass area..until? Last week of season for meat bear..hide wil be toast.
    Good luck to all.
    Anyone needing grizzly help..don't hesitate.
    Steven

Well, drove 600km on a scouting adventure today through a bunch of zone 3 and 8.... Alot of snow.. though the animals are dense in the open spots.. saw 7 moose, 8 bighorn sheep an elk and dozens of mule and white tail... No darn bears though! Fingers crossed.

I'll be out on southern region 8 next week after my move. Anyone got a snow report from princeton, copper mine, whipsaw, Sunday summit.

Lots of snow in most areas down that way. The odd basin and valley has thawed but no sign of bear in the areas I was this week.