Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spatsizi - LEH August 2018

Re: Spatsizi - LEH August 2018

Cold fish will only be a 2 day hike in. I'd assume your hunting your way in? Your walking right through sheep area to get to coldfish. Be aware of the Eco reserve. You'll see goats off the rail grade. So I'd suggest drawing a tag not hiking to the open areas.

Also. I wouldn't bank on being able to drive in there. Good chance of more wash outs. Big snow year so this spring might have some high rivers.

My wife and I are going to put in for Moose/Cariboo combo up there

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Cold fish will only be a 2 day hike in. I'd assume your hunting your way in? Your walking right through sheep area to get to coldfish. Be aware of the Eco reserve. You'll see goats off the rail grade. So I'd suggest drawing a tag not hiking to the open areas.

Also. I wouldn't bank on being able to drive in there. Good chance of more wash outs. Big snow year so this spring might have some high rivers.
    I think you can only hunt at height of land of the rail grade so i don't think the Goats you see are shooters ?
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

If you see goats from the Rail Grade you can shoot them. LEH to the North of the road.

what Caribou_Lou said... put in for goat draw this spring in spatsizi, I think the odds are good. Coldfish lake is about 45 to 50km hike, save your legs and fly in or pick an area on the way. Call tatogga lodge and ask about washouts. They might also be an option, if the road is open, for you to pay them to drop you off on rail grade and picked up at Coldfish by floatplane. Most rugged areas in the park hold good numbers of goats.

My understanding is if the klappen isn’t washed out you can drive right to the eaglenest trail head.
    also what I’ve gathered so far is there’s no need to hike through the Donahue pass to cold fish because your already in sheep country well before then at ice box and ram creek.

I also drew a sheep tag for 2018 and we’re hiking in regardless if we have to drive to where it’s washed out, float over in a dinghy and then pedal our asses to the eaglenest trailhead�� see ya out there

another thing is info should be readily given as this is a LEH draw and why not help out some resident hunters?right?

I will have around 10 days and the hike should be part of the fun, even if it takes 3-4 days. Aside for the road condition, there could be a blockage by the first nations although - I read that they rather try to prevent the Moose hunters to enter Spatsizi mid- August. Furthermore, there was some road improvments on the Klappan road due the the industrial activities (https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...52561/)...Will try my luck to use that road (Plan A) and if blocked or washed out, just drive back and try to catch an air lift in (plan b)...Plan C could be to use an inflatable Kayak and paddle upriver the Stikine River while catching Salmons... Wonder if August 1st will draw up to a hundred LEH drawers to the Eaglenest to shoot and compete for the largest Ram?

I’ll be through there with my brother along with at least half of the people who drew a tag and the guides and clients aswell

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    If you search those 317 threads, you'' find that about 90% of the guys drawn did not even go.
    Yup. I don't know why people apply for tags before thinking whether they're actually even going to go :/ ..... you're just doing a disservice to those that were willing but unlucky.
    Things happen and plans change, and that's fine ... but i mean there are guys out there who apply for every tag, every year, and they KNOW they have no time or money to go hunt bison up north in the middle of winter ...

FYI; (and friendly reminder)...you can return the Bison leh and it gets redrawn, so if one cannot go, please return it back to the ministry in time to allow someone else a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yup. I don't know why people apply for tags before thinking whether they're actually even going to go :/ ..... you're just doing a disservice to those that were willing but unlucky.
    Things happen and plans change, and that's fine ... but i mean there are guys out there who apply for every tag, every year, and they KNOW they have no time or money to go hunt bison up north in the middle of winter ...
    A man does not choose the momment, the momment chooses the man!