Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: west coast salmon closure 2018 thoughts

west coast salmon closure 2018 thoughts

I'm fish in region 20 around Sooke BC and the rumours on the news says the Government closing my area to feed the killer whales. I cant believe these fools in Ottawa actually think that this is going to save the whales. Give me a friggin break!!! I have alot of money tied up in my passions which incude fishing and hunting to feed my family and this is ridiculous if the DFO thinks this is going to save the killer whales. Thanks Justin

Thoughts

2. Site Sponsor

Re: west coast salmon closure 2018 thoughts

If science backs it I would agree with a closure. I don't see a lot of effort being put into saving what feeds the salmon, and what feeds that. It has to start from the bottom up.

Doubt it will come to that. Likely a slot limit or reduce daily possession to one wild, one hatchery fish

either way the recent herring fishery pulling 24000 tones of herring out of the waters is the real tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    If science backs it I would agree with a closure. I don't see a lot of effort being put into saving what feeds the salmon, and what feeds that. It has to start from the bottom up.
    This is a bandaid solution though, it’s just the DFO making a show to make it seem like they give a rats behind about salmon.

If closing the salmon season means in a couple of years they will open a whale season (and not some sh***y catch and release season either ) I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    If closing the salmon season means in a couple of years they will open a whale season (and not some sh***y catch and release season either ) I'm all for it.
    LOL, yup,think I’ll go down to the local MEC and purchase a new Harpoon, and some seal clubs, in anticipation.

how about opening the hatcheries for spring salmon again?maybe the leaf lickers will be willing to spend some cash on this to save the whales.

Quote Originally Posted by bosch View Post
    I'm fish in region 20 around Sooke BC and the rumours on the news says the Government closing my area to feed the killer whales. I cant believe these fools in Ottawa actually think that this is going to save the whales. Give me a friggin break!!! I have alot of money tied up in my passions which incude fishing and hunting to feed my family and this is ridiculous if the DFO thinks this is going to save the killer whales. Thanks Justin

Thoughts
    Can it hurt the whales? Is this the only way you can feed your family. Who gives a $hit about your money? If you are passionate, then you will support what is right for the eccology. The west coast fishery is collapsing and all you guys can think about is your boats and gear. TOO LATE MEN!!.........././Whatever!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I saw this coming 20 years ago. Salmon are a very political issue and have been for a long time. Funny thing is, you don't see to many people who think salmon fishing is their right, participating in habitat restoration work or hatchery work. Just take a look at the devastating resource extraction practices we see. Streams devastated by logging companies harvesting everything, and leaving no protection around stream banks. Mining companies with settling ponds that rupture or leak. Acid and temperature rises in the oceans. If we don't start practicing more care of this resource, we will loose it, and that will have catastrophic effects on all wildlife on this coast. Whether it's sport , commercial or aboriginal fishing, it would be a refreshing change, if people championed conservation over consumption. At present we are in race to the end. The only thing happening now, is deciding who kills the last fish.

As long as science supports it, I don't see an issue. But if sportsfishermen are hit the hardest compared to commercial fishing, than it's not going to work.

I agree with the sentiments above though, conservation has taken a back seat from all parties regarding salmon over the last few decades, hence the collapse of several runs.

I remember the outrage from fishermen whenever a closure happens due to extremely low return numbers. Not often do you hear "sure, makes sense, give them a break this year", it usually just goes directly to finger pointing.
    Last edited by kootenaihunter; 03-16-2018 at 08:21 AM.