Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: west coast salmon closure 2018 thoughts

Re: west coast salmon closure 2018 thoughts

It all adds up to the govt not wanting to spend money on resource mgmt.. Easier to just close it down. DFO is a laughing stock, they have mismanaged it over decades into the situation we find ourselves in.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by weatherby_man View Post
    It all adds up to the govt not wanting to spend money on resource mgmt.. Easier to just close it down. DFO is a laughing stock, they have mismanaged it over decades into the situation we find ourselves in.
    You nailed it. Gov't miss-management of all of our resources to the detriment of our wildlife and wilderness
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

The whales should be well fed...we have been protecting the seals for a while now and their numbers seem to be through the roof. The whales can eat them. Win win.....

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    how about opening the hatcheries for spring salmon again?maybe the leaf lickers will be willing to spend some cash on this to save the whales.

There it is right there.....
    how about make them dinner instead of taking mine.....

This isn't a " one action solution"
    if they shut EVERY ONE down and plowed money into creating fish it would be easier to take.. or some combo of that.... Shutting sport fish down is shutting the largest income hatchery's have down...

Slow down fishing while plowing money into making fish.. Sure... Shut down not fair when its only us.

There is so much we could be doing to help the production of Chinook...
    Stream rehab
    Stream maintenance
    Hatchery input
    Seal Cull
    merganser cull
    and sure a slowed fishery until it all takes....

I sure am not here to destroy the thing I made my living on for 20 years and love..... but really, this is not the solution. or the solution alone

If they are shutting fishing down they best be doing some predator control also. Whack some seals. They are eating way more Salmon then humans and whales combined!

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    There is so much we could be doing to help the production of Chinook...
    Stream rehab
    Stream maintenance
    Hatchery input
    Seal Cull
    merganser cull
    and sure a slowed fishery until it all takes....

I sure am not here to destroy the thing I made my living on for 20 years and love..... but really, this is not the solution. or the solution alone
    Mergansers probably kill more than all predators combined! Ive seen them in grouos of 20 or more on Babine lake chugging back sockeye smolts! And they have 10 or so ducklings a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    Mergansers probably kill more than all predators combined! Ive seen them in grouos of 20 or more on Babine lake chugging back sockeye smolts! And they have 10 or so ducklings a year.
    I believe there have been culls of Mergansers and Cormorants in Ontario and Manitoba. I am aware of a "vigilante" cull of cormorants on near Manitoulin Island Ontario. It really is not hard to understand that these predatory large birds consume thousands of smolts. I believe this cull was busting eggs and a shooting some of the numbers.

Cormorants in Queen's Park's sight as bill moves through legislature ...

www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/cormorants-protection-bill-1.3803118

Oct 13, 2016 - The double crested cormorant is subject to proposed amendments to Ontario's conservation regulations that would allow the culling of the birds

Quote Originally Posted by tinhorse View Post
    The whales should be well fed...we have been protecting the seals for a while now and their numbers seem to be through the roof. The whales can eat them. Win win.....
    Only issue with that Tinhorse is that the Orca's there trying to help are the local south Island resident pods, they consume fish and sea life. Converesly its the transients that consume mammals like seals and sea lions. They don't cross feed enough to sustain life.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Most sportfishers would gladly accept a reduced season if it was supported by science. However, the DFOs own scientists have repeatedly said of all the options available a sportfishing reduction would have the least impact. Butvscience doesn't matter, only appearances and the government must be seen doing something. Sport Fishing is just another blood sport.

We are not the only ones to face similar issues. Look no further than our neighbours to the South. Tge Columbia River runs were being decimated by, among other things, comorants. Washington/Oregon tried for years to get a cull but couldn't get it passed the Antis. What did they do? They got creative and approached the Army Core of zengineers. Too many birds, causing a safety threat. Same will probably done with seals soon. This could easily be done up here but there is no will.

For all the Liberal supporters on here, question! Do any of you remember the mid to late 90s? The great salmon wars? Chretien response was to try and shut down every Federal Hatchery in the province and only have one satelite office out here? Nothing has changed. They realized they bit off a piece to big last time and settled for gutting the hatcheries. The recent attempts to stop salmon in the classrooms, stream keepers, and such were in the same vain. Salmon are a huge burden to governments; having to negotuate international treaties, first nation treaties, inter-provincial and interstate deals. For all of Harper's and the conservative's faults; they simply did not care about salmon. That is infinitly better than the Liberals who actively want them gone!
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!