View Poll Results: Should BC consider similar legislation?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 39.80%
  • NO

59 60.20%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Adopts New Shed Hunting Regulations

Re: Nevada Adopts New Shed Hunting Regulations

Wasn't SSS bitching recently about a offroad ban in that area that means cat hunters can't access it and save deer? Hmm, fight for restrictions and then mad when they are put in and hurt other users that may be able to do some good. Same exact debate I had on Monster amuleys years ago when Utah first proposed shed seasons. Several guys were pissed that cat hunters could run their hounds in sensitive deer wintering areas. Ummm, Duh!!! You say the deer are hurting and then don't want anyone allowed in the backcountry who might just save the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Right next to your foot tracks eh? Were you just on a hike? Cuz it don't effect the deer if your motives are right. Think about what you just posted ffs.
    I was coyote hunting but thanks for asking.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Wasn't SSS bitching recently about a offroad ban in that area that means cat hunters can't access it and save deer? Hmm, fight for restrictions and then mad when they are put in and hurt other users that may be able to do some good. Same exact debate I had on Monster amuleys years ago when Utah first proposed shed seasons. Several guys were pissed that cat hunters could run their hounds in sensitive deer wintering areas. Ummm, Duh!!! You say the deer are hurting and then don't want anyone allowed in the backcountry who might just save the deer.
    The land is owned by the Ministry and the decision to shut it down came from them.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I was coyote hunting but thanks for asking.
    plenty of shed hunters caught shed hunting out of season over the last few years in the States with the ban have used that very same excuse. That is why the game wardens use GPS and remote cameras to catch those who shed hunt early and stash the sheds for Opening Day in May.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Right next to your foot tracks eh? Were you just on a hike? Cuz it don't effect the deer if your motives are right. Think about what you just posted ffs.
    Walking around on foot with a fraction of the noise and speed will put a lot less stress on the deer, think about it...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Walking around on foot with a fraction of the noise and speed will put a lot less stress on the deer, think about it...
    Again, we have laws already in place to deal with illegal offroading and wildlife harrassment. So did all the States that brought in shed laws. These laws are focused on the foot shed hunter. The rational is hiking around wintering deer and elk stresses them and there for the shed hunter must be controlled and stopped. Meanwhile, dog walkers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders, mountainbike riders and all other rec users are free to do what they want on the same winter range. It is only the nasty shed hunter that needs to be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Have a quad or sled blasting around at 20-40km like they were doing back there covering every place they can cover in a day , is just a little diff than a set of boot tracks . Think about which one puts more stress on the deer. Not saying that hiking up in the hills isn't stress full in the winter time on the deer its just , hiking your just a bit limited in the ground you can cover .
    Its just a matter of time before a few guys will tarnish all and new laws will be enacted, these are the same guys who leave their garbage behind after a day of shooting.
    In a critical wintering area in the North Okanagan I have seen....idiots shooting bottles and leaving targets, shotgun hulls, propane bottles....making trails for riding and shed hunting.
    A few will ruin it for us all, it go's right over their heads, a walk out on a ridge is alot different than some guy out on a quad or sled looking for sheds, people have been walking the land for sheds for thousands of years.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Again, we have laws already in place to deal with illegal offroading and wildlife harrassment. So did all the States that brought in shed laws. These laws are focused on the foot shed hunter. The rational is hiking around wintering deer and elk stresses them and there for the shed hunter must be controlled and stopped. Meanwhile, dog walkers, cross-country skiers, horseback riders, mountainbike riders and all other rec users are free to do what they want on the same winter range. It is only the nasty shed hunter that needs to be stopped.
    Couldn't agree with you more, it's complete BS......

I can't imagine a blacktail deer being pressured by humans. If anything blacktails benefit from humans stomping around their jungle homes... gives them a break from the preds for a few days. Not sure how much shed hunting is pressuring mules, elk, whitetail, etc in BC so I will claim ignorance on that. Banning shed hunting in Region 2 would be silly though.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Same here....I agree with a shed hunting reg in certain parts of core winter range, but I see an even greater threat to wintering ungulates from increased housing development that goes on, especially in region 8...to be honest, when I'm out shed/pred hunting on what you would think would be the busiest day of the week (usually go out saturdays) for that, I rarely see anybody, I honestly think most people are too lazy, or disinterested in hiking around and shed hunting, I just don't see it as big of a deal in BC compared to many parts of the USA...
    Nice to find them on the driveway when you go to work in the morning we are evolving for sure lol
    bigben