Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

Re: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

nice elk nog...

Well........ I could go on and on and on . Try and find a blade that is between 56 and 60 on the Rockwell Hardness scale. You can use a dedicated skinning knife or sheep knife like a Green River brand, it's a carbon blade so you have to rub mineral oil on it or it will rust ,good edge retention. Millions of beef skinned with these in slaughter houses before the arrival of stainless knives and air knives and hide pullers ! Maybe a Victorinox with a Fibrox handle . Maybe a Buck . Maybe a Mora .Lot's of options . Learn how to use a waterstone and a knife steel ! Lot's of info on You Tube blade forums etc.
    Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 03-13-2018 at 06:55 PM.

I've got a brand new schrade old timer, nice looking knife but it's made in China, Its the last schrade I'll buy,
    My new buck is still made in the USA.

Buck Knife "Kalinga"

Thumbs up Re: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

For some years now (after losing many other knives in moves, through theft et al) I have established a little clan consisting of Grohmann #1 and #2 in stainless with saber grind and rosewood handles (the rosewood on my #2 is very pale and the slabs have much different grains): folding saw, lil' victorinox black plastic handled knife along with some boxcutter blades. Also - don't forgot the rope!

P.S. - I have an assortment of sharpening media and methods, yet for something to have handy afield - I am very grateful for my Work Sharp Feild Sharpener which includes two grits of diamond plates: two grits of ceramic rod, leather strop and broadhead wrenches in one little device.
    Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 03-13-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: New field sharpening gadget!

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Marty Beets custom..
    Steven

Knives are pretty over rated imo.
    Had a 110 but got out of the woods after dark and lost it after gutting.
    Havelon will never leave my bag along with a cheap 3 inch folding knife and a diamond sharpener.
    My fav knife right now I got from Omineca outdoors and is a fixed blade florecent green so you don’t loose it. Steel from Sweden. Around 30 bucks out the door if I remember.

IMHO you don't appreciate a good custom till you have one
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

buck 105 pathfinder that I got as a gift 30 yrsa ago! I also have a havlon that I use for skinning. My huntinig bag is full of sharp knives though, couple cheapy skandinavian steel knives, a buck 103 skinner, way too many. Always have a sharp knife around though! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"