Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

Hello!

Just wondering what you guys use/favorite knifes for skinning out
    thd big boys. A favourite sharpener you use between? How often
    do you sharpen when on the task?

Cheers!

T

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

Skinning exacto knife for rough work and scalpel for detail work. Havalon is also good for detail work as well but higher blade cost

Tried a lot of skinning knives trapping and the above are the best options in my opinion. Non replacement blade types are not worth the hassle between the sharpening and quality of work

Hunting I carry a custom fixed blade for heavy work and exacto/scalpel combo to cover all my skinning rough to caping. Best set up for quality work and cost I have found

I've used the same $20 three inch folder no name brand for twenty years....

Had some really nice knives in between, the more expensive the sooner it becomes "lost".

No idea how many deer, elk, moose, sheep, buffalo, beef, bears, and little critters it has gutted, skinned, boned out, butchered....

Learn how to sharpen it, and probably much more importantly, learn how to use it without dulling it.

Don't cut into bones, don't try to cut what can't be cut.

I like my new Buck alpha skinner, holds an edge forever. Wouldn't mind getting a replaceable blade to detail work and stuff closer to bones, etc.

In the field I use a Havalon, although I also carry and use a folding saw. Once the animal is back at home or camp, in addition to the Havalon I use grandpa's old fixed blade Old Timer, which I'll touch up as necessary with whatever stone is at hand.
    A conservationist is an environmentalist with a gun.

I’ve used only a havalon on the last two moose, gutless method. I’ve never needed a saw or anything else to break an animal down. Most times we are a long ways from the road and carrying a light weight knife is nice to help lighten the load

if your only skinning to remove the hide to cool meat and not doing an taxi work, any sharp knife will do especially once you have cut through the hide and are only removing the hide from the meat. Some are much better and nicer to hold but you don't need anything expensive or fancy. Sharpeners depend on what skill level you have for sharpening as some require a lot more skill but also give the better edge in the long run
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Cool Re: What knife do you use to skin Elk or moose?

Buck 110 - skinning, butchering and a whole lot more...

For sharpening nothing beats a finish or touch up with a couple Ceramic Sticks IMO.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Bought my knife for 12 dollars back in 72. Never found a reason to replace it. Also have a Havalon now.

I've used a Falkniven F1 for 5 years now. Love it. Convex edge seems to hold its edge like no other knife I've ever used.