Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking in the wall tent?

Cooking in the wall tent?

Hey Guys!

Looking for some advice/opinions.

The boy(14) and I are heading up to Fort ST James hunting in Sept.
    We are used to cooking in the wall tent on our other trips but never in Grizzly country.

But I’ve heard that in Griz country we shouldn’t be cooking in the tent we sleep in.

Thoughts? What do you guys do ? Have a separate Screen tent to cook in??

Any other tips on griz country?

Thanks!

T

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Cooking in the wall tent?

We have always extended the frame and had an open tarp covered area to cook in at the front of the tent. But we also usually made a lot of noise at night that should scare any preds for a couple miles.

i keep a gun in the tent in grizz or black country , cooking or not, i had 5 foot porch for my walltent and used that as cooking station.

We either set up a pop-up tent or, even better, our enclosed trailer as the cook shack. No food whatsoever goes into the tent.

The only thing we make in the tent is coffee.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Never cook in our wall tent. Ever. Immediately outside with a 10 ft awning, but never inside. It isn't a predator issue.

Never had any issues cooking in the tent, plus side of dogs I suppose...

No food in the tent rule at our camp. The convenience is not with the risk. Also one less reason for mice to come in.
    Cooking in the cargo trailer works very well for us, easy to close the doors and lock all the food and booze up!

pick up a portable garage, they work great for kitchen shelters.... they come on sale at Canadian Tire for half price. We use a 10x20 for a sleeping tent and another 10x20 for kitchen. For 4 guys it works great.

XPEIER

in grizzly country..no cooking in your sleeping tent. EVER. PERIOD.
    no gum, no chocolate bars..no brushing teeth toothpaste...
    Kwatna..brand new tent used by guide..first day $2500 tent..within 4 hours destroyed.. for a chocolate bar..hmmm female bear lol
    resident hunters near Ghost lk..tent destroyed at the falls turnout..eating in tent.

couple other tips to aid you..if you send PM with ph number I will call you...had more than a few encounters with grizzlis..most turned out badly for the bears a few had their moments on who was going to win..lol never had a friend or client hurt or harmed or their gear.

SEVERAL hundred guys seeking advice have successfully went and returned safetly from this site, HBC..

cheers
    Srupp

Bears are always an issue with food and tents. The other thing to consider is the smell of your food on all of your gear when you step out the door. Wildlife is used to the smell of burning wood but not the smell of burning stag chili!!!