Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooking in the wall tent?

Re: Cooking in the wall tent?

We never cook inside. Our tent has a 5’ porch plus we drag a tarp further out than that. All critters like food, not just bears.

Take Srupp (Steven) up on his offer, great guy, great advise.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Yup like the guys say cook outside and let the fresh air and wind get rid of food scent. Just extend with a tarp set up a table and your stove and you'll have more room in the tent and more dry storage area outside. Put all food and anything that smells like food in a cooler afterwards and keep in in the truck, best to be anal about keeping a clean camp food scent wise.

its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by squamishhunter View Post
    Never had any issues cooking in the tent, plus side of dogs I suppose...
    Same here!
    Used to live in the remote Yukon wilderness year-round living & cooking in tents. Couple FN brothers from Old Crow even made home brew. There were plenty of bears(grizz & black) & wolves but they never bothered us.
    The only problem we had was a wolverine that was shot.
    If you're worried surround the tent area with an electric fence.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I make a porch with a tarp that's 6-8' longer than the tent that I WAS putting my table and stove,
    however last year I picked up a screen room on sale and now place that 10-15 yds away, its real simple to pop up and i like that set up way more, adds a lot more useable space to a camp
    still didn't stop a young black from poking his nose in the window beside my cot last fall lol

Call me nieve but where is it not grizz country?

Never the less it is not a good idea. We don't even cook in the camper but that's just being picky. If it's in the budget I recommend a pop up patio type tent and a folding plastic table. We paid about $300 for the tent at Costco in its pretty good quality and has 4 walls for when the weather doesn't want to cooperate and the table we picked from a garage sale or something. This gives you a dry cooking area that is easily cleaned doest take up much extra space in the vehicle. Another thing to consider about cooking in your sleeping area besides the bear factor us that most of us cook with propane. Burning propane in doors can cause a carbon monoxide build up. Not so wise......
    Last edited by S.W.A.T.; 03-12-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Great advise guys! Any more tips?

I was gonna say x2 on the CO emissions, I don't know where a guy would find stats on such things but I'm going to guess more campers die from CO poisoning than from Ol man Grizz. My propane stove crapped out this past November (maybe due to the cold? -27C?) so we did all our cooking on the woodstove in the tent. Made for an interesting experience. We weren't exactly in "Grizzly" country, but it would not have been unheard of to have come across the odd one. We did come back to came one evening and found a lynx poking around the text, that was cool.

As a general tip, I usually pre-make a bunch of meals (Chili, Butter Chicken, Soups, Spaghetti Sauce) and freeze them in freezer bags laid flat, they pack nicely in the cooler like ice packs, and then you just heat and serve with a simple starch/side dish that you can boil or fry (Rice, potatoes, pasta, or bannock).

I love my 14x16 Wall Tent, Thanks Deluxe Wall Tents!

I never cook in the wall tent stinks it up always do my cooking out side ,,just asking for trouble if you cook in the wall tent bears will come into the tent..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Not to hijack but could someone please explain to me what is and isn't bear country because I see bears everywhere

I'm surprised to hear so many guys never cook in the wall tent. To me one of the best things about the wall tent is cooking dinner in the cast iron on the cylinder stove! If you are concerned about the consequences of bear enters tent, cooking right outside the door is not going to have a different outcome. I realize lots of guys are thinking more for scent on your cloths but any animal you hunt that is down wind of you is going to detect your scent no matter what.
    Your post is asking about sleeping and we sleep right in the glorious bacon scented wall tent. Having said all that you know I would be singing a different tune if a grizz had ever decided have a look see. Even if you sleep in a tent outside of camp the bear will most likely check you out.
    The safest option is no food or anything in the tent at all...that would kinda suck though I think.