Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boot help

Re: Boot help

I agree wit 604. I have a pair of Lowa Hunter GTX and the have been great.

Scarpa....aaalllllll day.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

I have the Scarpa Kinesis Pro GTX and am very happy with them. They typically are between $449 and $489 but have seen them advertised at Atmosphere for I believe $389

I had my heart set on a pair of meindl when I head to the city in a couple weeks. I hope they prove to be ok. I don't think I'll complain about a stiff sole though, I've been wearing viberg leathers for over ten years at work.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have a pair of Meindl/Cabela's Perfekt, my favorite boot so far. Mine are very high mileage now and are holding up great! Could use a new pair of insoles any day now and may as well tack an extra set of laces onto the order though the ones that came with the boots are holding up just fine. Still keeps out the water, plenty of tread. Durable and comfy.

Hanwags in the mountains and pretty much anything Irish Setter for anything else and I don't think you can go wrong.

I have Lowa Tibet GTXs. Use a Sole footbed, and they are comfy to hike in all day. Not so great for casual wear, and they took FOREVER to break in.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Ive got a pair of scarppa's and cant say enough good things about them. The have lasted through 4 field work seasons and hunting seasons and will last quite a few more. They are comfortable and durable.

Ive been using Garmonts for a long time, that said my current pair are about done, and I'll need something new soon, I'm just putting it off because I hate new boots so much. They are more of a light mountaineering boot though, so probably too stiff a sole for what you're looking for. Good brand though worth checking out.

When you're trying on boots, keep in mind your feet swell up about a half size when you're hiking a lot, you don't want to buy boots that fit snug, finding that spot where they fit an hour or so in is hard to do when you're either sitting in a store, or worse yet ordering online.

Try a few brands out, some just fit skinnier than others, when I replace my current boots, I'd like to try some Scarpas, La Sportivas and some new Garmonts, I've also heard good things about Crispis, so them as well. I'd look into a mountaineering store for trying them, the people there are just going to be more knowledgeable than someone at a Bass Pro or Cabelas, if you don't like the store because they're anti hunting or whatever, buy online after, but with boots you really want to try them before you buy.

I personally had bad luck with the lowa mountain GTX’s. When the temp got below zero, they were like walking on hockey pucks, click clack click clack, and cold and slippery. I never get cold feet, but my feet froze in the lowas. Iv since been wearing hanwag mountain GTX’s, I personally find them a lot comfier, I use them as my every day boot now. Worth a look if your hunting for a good boot.